Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Music City Missy||
For must see
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #18735 at 2:48 am on Aug 6, 2010
Drive up to Mt. Hood and see Timberline Lodge. Drive down the other side of the mountain and come back along the gorge and see the dam (watch the salmon going upstream via the fish ladder) personally I love the grounds at the dam fish hatchery and all the waterfalls. Pretty much a full day.
Drive down through the wine country to Newport where Randi lived. Have lunch on the bay - I 'll have to look up where she took me but whatever you do - DO NOT eat at a Mo's!!!). Drive up the 'coast' and through dairy country. Stop at Tillamook, eat the freshest seafood you have ever had at Pacific Oyster, go on up to Cannon Beach and then drive back over to Portland. Actually - my friends all said to drive up the coast but thinking about it -maybe drive down (who cares about seeing the sunset over a big rock?) so that you can better take advantage of all those wineries.
Drive up to Mt. Saint Helens. I guess it's something everyone should see once. It's strange. Stop and get potato soup, potato logs (or whatever they call them) and a fried pork chop at te gas station on the left as you go up that is either the last gas station or the next to last - it's a large place that is gas and a grocery. The food was really quite good and we stopped going and it was so good we stopped coming back.
Definitely don't miss the Farmers Market - there is one every day somewhere but the main one on PSU campus on Saturday is the best. And don't miss the Saturday Market - I stay on the river side which is pretty much artisans and such - it's a lot of junk, though some of it's interesting and there are a few vendors with handmade goods on the other side.
I haven't had the pleasure of enjoying the rose gardens either time I was there but you can bet I am doing it next time!
Just enjoy downtown - there is so much to see and do and free transportion in the downtown loop and cheap mass transit to almost everywhere else.
Other messages in this thread:
- 18735. Going to Portland, OR the end of Sept. Any "must see, do, eat" ideas? [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 11:18pm on 08/05/10 (11)
- Michael - my husband has a temp position out there - Music City Missy - 2:38am on 08/06/10
- For must see - Music City Missy - 2:48am on 08/06/10
- Great information! Thanks, Missy. [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 2:31pm on 08/06/10
- how about a cooking class with Caprile and John Pence? funfunfun [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 5:03pm on 08/06/10
- Here are a few tips from my friend that goes several times a month [LINK] - Traca - 6:46pm on 08/06/10
- Traca hit some of the other great places - Music City Missy - 7:34pm on 08/06/10
- Missy...agreed. Pass on Voodoo Doughnuts & Burgerville. You MUST go to Powells Books - Traca - 8:51pm on 08/06/10
- Go to At The Meadow for a mind-boggling array of salts [NT] [LINK] - Traca - 8:54pm on 08/06/10
- OMG! Seven days are not going to be enough! Thanks! [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 11:27pm on 08/06/10
- Just got back from my HS. reunion in Portland and I highly - lorijean - 2:20pm on 08/07/10
- Michael, this St. Honore bakery is wonderful--two locations. AS for sights, don't miss the Japanese [LINK] - Joe - 4:37pm on 08/07/10