Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Help Needed with Cake Recipe
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #18803 at 11:54 am on Aug 16, 2010
I really don't want to use whipping cream as called for in this recipe. What would your thoughts be on using plain yogurt instead? To get more air into the mix the eggs could be separated and the whites whipped and then folded into the batter.
Plum Torte with Cardamom Cream
Posted by jgreghenry
This torte may have a rustic appearance, but it is sheer elegance in its terrific balance of not too sweet and just rich enough.
2 c whipping cream
2 T extra-fine sugar
2 t ground cardamom
1 c butter, at room temperature
1 1⁄2 c granulated sugar
2 c unbleached flour
2 t fresh baking powder
1⁄2 t kosher salt
4 large eggs
6 plums, halved & pitted
turbinado sugar, to taste for sprinkling
Make the cardamon cream: Whip the cream together with the extra-fine sugar and cardamom until cream just barely holds soft peaks. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and eggs, then beat until well incorporated.
Using a rubber spatula spread the batter (it will be quite thick, into an ungreased 10-inch spring form pan. Place the plum halves, skin side up, on top of the batter as closely together as possible. Press them in to the batter just a bit.
Sprinkle lightly with the turbinado sugar.
Bake for one hour ten minutes until a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly (about 20 minutes) then run a sharp knife around the edges and release the spring form. Serve warm, with the cardamom cream.
Other messages in this thread:
- 18803. Help Needed with Cake Recipe - Sylvia - 11:54am on 08/16/10 (12)
- Thanks in advance for any help with this recipe. [NT] - Sylvia - 11:56am on 08/16/10
- Sylvia, I don't understand...The cream is just served along side - Melissa Dallas - 12:14pm on 08/16/10
- Oy! Melissa, you'll have to forgive me. I am taking a very strong medication for back pain and - Sylvia - 10:26pm on 08/16/10
- Awww...We've all been there! Cheers [NT] - orchid - 1:45am on 08/17/10
- Gotcha, and definitely been there. At least it is an easy fix! [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 3:29am on 08/17/10
- Serve it with vanilla ice cream or without anything. [NT] - elaine - 5:35pm on 08/16/10
- I might consider some vanilla yogurt. [NT] - AngAk - 7:43pm on 08/16/10
- or a little sour cream mixed with a bit of brown sugar [NT] - cheezz - 4:36am on 08/17/10
- Wow! cardamom whipped cream... now why didn't I think of that?! Brilliant [NT] - cheezz - 4:35am on 08/17/10
- The cake will be baked today. In my present state who knows how it will turn out. Will report back. [NT] - Sylvia - 12:19pm on 08/17/10
- crush up some of those back pain meds in it and no one will care :) [NT] - cheezz - 7:45pm on 08/17/10
- The adventure continues. Today I had Ian drive me to the store to buy plums. The plums - Sylvia - 8:34pm on 08/17/10