Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Sweet Potato Ginger Curry by Lynne Rossetto Kasper. One of the gardeners brought this to our potluck
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #19052 at 7:50 am on Sep 27, 2010
and it was the hit of the day. I don't recall that she used the basil, and it was delicious anyway. I'm hanging onto this for fall:
Sweet Yams in Ginger-Stick Curry
from <i>How to Eat Supper</i> by Lynne Rossetto Kasper
4 quarts salted water
2 large Garnet or Jewel yams (about 1 3/4 pounds), peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-rounds.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
One 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into paper-thin matchsticks
4 large garlic cloves, sliced paper thin
1 jalepeņo, sliced very thin
2 whole scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
2 large shallots, sliced thin
Salt and Pepper
1/2 light-packed cup fresh basil leaves, course chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1. Bring water to boil.
2. Once water is bubbling fiercely, drop in the yams and cook them at a hard bubble for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain in a colander and turn into a serving dish. Set the pot back on the stove.
3. Generously film the pot with oil. Set it over medium-high heat and add the ginger, garlic, jalepeņo, scallions, shallots, and generous sprinklings of salt and pepper. Saute for two minutes, stirring often. Then cover the pot tightly, reduce the heat to medium low, and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the ginger has softened.
4. Stir in the basil and cook, uncovered, for no more than 30 seconds. Spoon curry over yams, and squeeze lime juice over the finished dish.
Other messages in this thread:
- 19052. Sweet Potato Ginger Curry by Lynne Rossetto Kasper. One of the gardeners brought this to our potluck [LINK] - Joe - 7:50am on 09/27/10 (8)
- at the link, it looks like they sprinkled peanuts over the top. Was is served this way? [NT] - AngAk - 2:42pm on 09/27/10
- No, I think that was the blogger's addition. It was just an unassuming Tupperware dish, - Joe - 3:47pm on 09/27/10
- Looks amazing! Thanks for posting! [NT] - cheezz - 3:34pm on 09/28/10
- Sweet Potato Pecan Bars,,,Looks like a good spot to post this recipe with butter &sugar ;-) - Curious1 - 9:41am on 09/28/10
- YUM! Thanks Curious - I love yams.... yes, even the sticky sweet Thanksgiving dish [NT] - cheezz - 3:36pm on 09/28/10
- Yum is right. Don't get me wrong--I love sticky sweet yams too! They're just a bit calorific. [NT] - Joe - 7:23pm on 09/28/10
- If you look up 'Thanksgiving' in the dictionary, it says "calorific holiday' :) [NT] - cheezz - 12:11am on 09/29/10
- Hah! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 3:16am on 09/29/10