Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Barbara in VA||
Orchid, I tried the recipe that you linked on my original post above...
Joined: Dec 15, 2005
Posted to Thread #19252 at 7:21 am on Oct 26, 2010
19075. It was to a My Recipes recipe. I bought egg whites because I didn't want to waste a bunch of eggs if I messed up. The first try was exactly like the recipe instructions and they all fell over the second I put them into the oven. I tried again whipping them longer and they stayed upright for a few minutes when I put them in the oven, then ker-plunk, all down for the count. So I Googled a bit and found a recipe at 1001 Cookbooks with a bit more instruction. I whipped for more than 15 minutes and used real eggs this time. More than half of the trayfull stayed upright and the others just looked "wind blown" (leaning slightly). In the end I am not sure if it was the lengthy whip or the real eaggs that made a difference. But whatever it was, it worked.
The cake came from a link Sandi In Hawaii posted to a blog called I Am Baker.
Hope this is helpful to you :)
PS I left them in the oven all night after I turned it off. They remained "tacky" to the touch but they were all eaten up!
Link: Meringue Ghosts
Other messages in this thread:
- 19252. Meringue ghosts, after three tries they finally worked! - Barbara in VA - 6:36pm on 10/25/10 (20)
- oh my goodness----so cute! [NT] - AngAk - 6:45pm on 10/25/10
- GREAT job Barbara! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 6:46pm on 10/25/10
- waaaay too cute! and the Red Velvet cake is positively ghoulish -- YUM!! [NT] - PatBastrop - 7:40pm on 10/25/10
- You did a fantastically awesome job Barbara! Could you fill us in on how - orchid - 9:06pm on 10/25/10
- Orchid, I tried the recipe that you linked on my original post above... [LINK] - Barbara in VA - 7:21am on 10/26/10
- Thank you Sandi in Hawaii for the link of inspiration!!!! [LINK] - Barbara in VA - 7:23am on 10/26/10
- Lol! Well, you certainly get the determination award. Great job! [NT] - orchid - 1:02pm on 10/26/10
- Ooh, perfect! And very cute! I like the whole idea of the dripping - DawnNYS - 9:23pm on 10/25/10
- Perfect Halloween cake. [NT] - Rita in ILL - 7:12pm on 10/27/10
- Oh what fun!! Soo cute! [NT] - Sandi in Hawaii - 3:42am on 10/26/10
- Too Cute! Thanks for sharing! [NT] - GeorgiaRose - 8:57am on 10/26/10
- Very spooky! Great Job! [NT] - barb_b - 9:08am on 10/26/10
- Beautiful job, Barbara! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 2:38pm on 10/26/10
- Don't you mean a boo-tiful job? :) Great job Barbara! [NT] - Dawn_MO - 4:35pm on 10/26/10
- Great job! Now where are the spun sugar cobwebs? ; ) [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 4:11pm on 10/26/10
- Thanks everyone. Just thought it would be fun to share the pics! [NT] - Barbara in VA - 5:16pm on 10/26/10
- That's a masterpiece of a Halloween cake! [NT] - FloriSandy - 5:34pm on 10/26/10
- Oh so cute! And with the red cake - it's brilliant! [NT] - Lana in FL - 5:51pm on 10/26/10
- Great job! WHen I grow up I want to bake a cake like this! [NT] - SallyBR - 6:59pm on 10/27/10
- Adorable! [NT] - ErininNY - 9:59am on 10/29/10