Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here's the recipe, plus another one I found in my files,, >>>
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #250 at 5:29 am on Dec 28, 2005
called "Cucumber Asian Salad." It also had great reviews.
THAI CUCUMBER SALAD
"This is a spicy, refreshing salad that's perfect served on a hot summer evening with garden-fresh veggies. It's easiest to use a mandoline to slice the veggies, but a sharp knife and patience will do quite well, also!"
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon lime zest
1/2-1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
salt and pepper
1 seedless cucumber
1 small red bell pepper
1 medium carrot
1/2 small red onion
1-2 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
Whisk the first 7 ingredients (lime juice through jalapeno) in a large bowl.
Season with salt and pepper.
Trim the ends from the cucumber.
Split lengthwise in half.
Slice very thinly.
Toss into the dressing.
Halve the red pepper vertically, core and remove seeds and white membranes.
Slice the pepper, horizontally, into very thin strips.
Add to the dressing and toss.
Peel the carrot and trim off ends.
Slice diagonally into very thin slices.
Add to the rest of the salad.
Peel the onion and cut in half horizontally.
Then slice vertically into very thin strips.
Add these to the bowl and toss everything together until well mixed.
Set aside for at least one hour, stirring occasionally (this can be marinated for up to 8 hours, but refrigerate if marinating for longer than 2 hours).
Transfer to a serving bowl.
Sprinkle cilantro (if used) and peanuts over top.
posted by VictoriaL - Recipezaar
CUCUMBER ASIAN SALAD
1 japanese cucumber or hothouse cucumber or English cucumber, peeled and sliced (if not available, use 2 regular cucumbers)
2 scallions, sliced thin
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, grated
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
Toss all salad ingredients and top with seeds.
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 250. ISO a side dish to serve with Thai food.... - FoodMuse - 12:34am on 12/28/05 (26)
- How about some summer rolls? - judy-mass - 1:00am on 12/28/05
- Love Green Papaya Salad, though I'm not sure I can.... - FoodMuse - 4:57am on 12/28/05
- I have a recipe for Thai Cucumber Salad >>> - Meryl - 2:30am on 12/28/05
- yes, yes, I would love your recipe for the Cucumber salad! - FoodMuse - 4:59am on 12/28/05
- Here's the recipe, plus another one I found in my files,, >>> - Meryl - 5:29am on 12/28/05
- Appetizer recipe: Coconut Chips - KC_ - 4:08am on 12/28/05
- I wonder if I could do a variation on this with shredded.... - FoodMuse - 5:05am on 12/28/05
- Alternate recipe, Roasted Coconut Cashew Nuts - KC_ - 2:26pm on 12/28/05
- Wow! this sounds awsome... - FoodMuse - 3:29pm on 12/28/05
- Oh.... drool, drool, drool!!!! Thanks for posting this! [NT] - Carianna in WA - 3:53pm on 12/28/05
- I want to make this right now... do you think I can sub for the chiles? Cayenne maybe? [NT] - Carianna in WA - 5:28pm on 12/28/05
- Just made this... it tastes awesome! However, ISO help... - Carianna in WA - 6:54pm on 12/28/05
- Maybe one of our candy makers can help, but - KC_ - 8:13pm on 12/28/05
- Oooh! I've got to try this one! (nt) [NT] - Glennis_NoCA - 6:49am on 12/30/05
- RECIPE: Tai Spring Rolls - Olga_D_Ont - 4:08am on 12/28/05
- All these amazing rec.s! Any more super quick sides for lazy girls. NT [NT] - FoodMuse - 5:06am on 12/28/05
- I meant for my post above to the 7th post in this thread. Oh well. BTW Thanx Olga! NT [NT] - FoodMuse - 5:11am on 12/28/05
- Rec: Silky Pumpkin Soup - KC_ - 4:12am on 12/28/05
- Rec: Shan Salad with Cellophane Noodles and Ginger - KC_ - 4:17am on 12/28/05
- Rec: Mango Salad with Cashews (with var) - RuthSF - 2:15pm on 12/28/05
- this sounds lovely Thanks NT [NT] - FoodMuse - 9:42pm on 12/28/05
- I have a good mango and jicama salad I like to serve. Can sub. papaya for the mango too, - Carianna in WA - 4:30pm on 12/28/05
- Here is my most favorite Thai cucumber salad recipe: - LisainLA - 5:01pm on 12/28/05
- I've been looking for a recipe like this - thank you:) NT [NT] - deb-in-MI - 8:50pm on 12/28/05
- REC. I just whipped up Coconut Ice Cream with Mango Slices (very Semi-home made) - FoodMuse - 10:03pm on 12/28/05
- Hi - I posted some at Epi before I saw it here. Happy New Year all! [NT] - DawnNYS - 8:15pm on 12/30/05