Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Michael, covering while boiling lets the steam wash down the sides of the pan
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #19551 at 2:39 pm on Dec 12, 2010
more efficient than brushing with water. When the syrup is clear and boiling you can uncover and put in your thermometer.
I assume you didn't stir it--that can cause crystals too.
My mother's fudge was always grainy and so I grew up thinking that was the way it's supposed to be.
Other messages in this thread:
- 19551. Fudge problems. Subtitled: I should've talked to the experts here first. - Michael in Phoenix - 5:03pm on 12/11/10 (20)
- I was scarred for life by my first fudge making experience... - daricem - 6:05pm on 12/11/10
- This is the fudge recipe I use every year... - lizzy - 6:32pm on 12/11/10
- I was reading about Gayle's recipe and the praises it gets, but I got scared. - Michael in Phoenix - 10:49pm on 12/11/10
- Yes, that almost kept me from trying it too, but really it's just the usual 'safeguards' for fudge [NT] - cheezz - 3:21am on 12/12/10
- Michael, just found this post. :) I'll send you a pound of butter if you ruin the fudge! - GayleMO - 2:50am on 12/19/10
- Gayles fudge is best I've made or had - darylGA - 12:59am on 12/20/10
- Hi Daryl, welcome back. I've missed you. Buy any green chiles this year? [NT] - Curious1 - 1:52am on 12/20/10
- Thanks, DarylGA, I don't believe we've met. I've been MIA for awhile.... - GayleMO - 8:26pm on 12/21/10
- Or should that be the Physics of Phudge? [NT] - DawnNYS - 12:55am on 12/12/10
- (whoops, posted in the wrong spot) [NT] - DawnNYS - 12:55am on 12/12/10
- Gayle's Chocolate Buttercream Fudge was just AMAZING! Super silky smooth (see post way up above) [NT] - cheezz - 10:37pm on 12/11/10
- The Jan 2007 Cook's Illustrated also has a foolproof 15-Minute Fudge that I've wanted to try... - cheezz - 10:42pm on 12/11/10
- Not an expert, but I remember the physics of fudge... if you cool the - DawnNYS - 12:53am on 12/12/10
- Michael, covering while boiling lets the steam wash down the sides of the pan - Joe - 2:39pm on 12/12/10
- You're going to laugh at these directions then. - Michael in Phoenix - 3:31pm on 12/12/10
- I'm going to give it one more shot. This fudge gets great reviews on Mimi's... - Michael in Phoenix - 3:34pm on 12/12/10
- Michael, even when it sometimes goes grainy on storage this is still my favorite fudge. [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 4:09pm on 12/12/10
- I made the Fantasy Fudge for many years with no problems... very good altho not as creamy as Gayle's [NT] - cheezz - 7:25pm on 12/12/10
- My sympathies, Michael. Failed Candy Maker meetings are held every holiday. Join us, brother. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:40pm on 12/14/10
- I'm a member! My friend wants me to try his mother's Divinity recipe. gahhhhh [NT] - AngAk - 7:10pm on 12/14/10