Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Steve2 in LA||
I'm ashamed how ridiculously simple this is but try it for yourself . . .
Joined: Feb 7, 2006
Posted to Thread #19654 at 10:50 pm on Dec 25, 2010
Seafood Stew with Tomatoes and Fresh Herbs
originally from Bon Appetit, April 2006 |
6 Tbsp EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
3 cups thinly sliced ONIONS
1½ large FRESH FENNEL BULBS, trimmed, halved, thinly sliced
4 large GARLIC CLOVES, minced
½ tsp DRIED CRUSHED RED PEPPER
1 28 oz can CRUSHED TOMATOES WITH ADDED PUREE
1 15-16 oz can CRUSHED TOMATOES WITH ADDED PUREE
1½ cups DRY WHITE WINE
3 8oz bottles (or more) CLAM JUICE (I use homemade lobster or shrimp stock if I have it)
1½lb HALIBUT FILLETS, cut into 1” pieces
1½lb UNCOOKED LARGE SHRIMP, peeled, deveined
1½lbs MUSSELS, scrubbed, debearded
1½lbs SMALL CLAMS, scrubbed
¾ cup chopped FRESH ITALIAN PARSLEY, divided
1 Tbsp chopped FRESH TARRAGON
Heat oil in large wide pot over medium high heat. Add onions, fennel, garlic and crushed red pepper. Sauté until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add all crushed tomatoes, cook 5 minutes. Add wine and cook 8 minutes. Add 3 bottles clam juice and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
Add halibut, shrimp, mussels, clams, half of parsley and tarragon. Cover; simmer until halibut and shrimp are just opaque in center and mussels and clams open, about 7 minutes.
Thin with more clam juice, if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to large bowl (discard any unopened shellfish). Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Other messages in this thread:
- 19654. All this seafood talk.... : ) What is the best way to "clean" mussels / clams? - barb_b - 6:57pm on 12/23/10 (11)
- Rec: Pat's Rec: Clams Portuguese [NT] [LINK] - barb_b - 6:59pm on 12/23/10
- Rec: Spicy Steamed Mussels with Garlic Bread [NT] [LINK] - barb_b - 7:02pm on 12/23/10
- How to Clean Clams [NT] [LINK] - Traca - 8:57pm on 12/23/10
- Barb, if you're cooking them all together, I'd use a clambake method, layering them in the pot. - Traca - 9:05pm on 12/23/10
- I didn't see any mention of debearding the mussels in any of these recipes. On some (but not all) [LINK] - Steve2 in LA - 10:22pm on 12/23/10
- Thanks Traca and Steve. [NT] - barb_b - 12:11pm on 12/24/10
- We're spoiled here in the NW. Taylor Shellfish cleans clams & mussels before retailing them. [NT] - Traca - 7:49pm on 12/24/10
- Ooh, I love the idea of clams, mussels, shrimp and halibut w/ tomato, fennel, white wine sauce [NT] - Traca - 7:48pm on 12/24/10
- I'm ashamed how ridiculously simple this is but try it for yourself . . . - Steve2 in LA - 10:50pm on 12/25/10
- Wow! Now there's a crowd pleaser! So glad you shared the recipe. Thanks Steve! [NT] - Traca - 11:55pm on 12/25/10
- Yes, this sounds like a keeper. Not sure if I'm having company NY day but If so, this is it. [NT] - Joe - 6:34pm on 12/26/10