Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
This is THE best REC: Swedish Meatballs that I've ever done>>
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #2175 at 3:49 pm on Jun 3, 2006
It was posted by nlb, who was one talented swapper, at Gail's.
rec. Swedish Meatballs
These are great and saucy too.
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 c milk
1/2 c dry bread crumbs
3 T butter
1/2 c finely chopped onion
1 1/4 lbs ground round
1 3/4 t salt
3/4 t dill weed
1/4 t allspice
1/8 t nutmeg
1/8 t cardamom
3 T flour
1/8 t pepper
10 1/2 oz can beef broth
1/2 cup light cream
In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, and dry bread crumbs.
In a large skillet, heat 1 T butter and sauté chopped onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Lift out with slotted spoon. Add to bread crumb mixture, along with ground round, 1 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t dill weed, allspice, nutmeg and cardamom. With a wooden spoon or your hands, mix well to combine. Refrigerate covered for 1 hour.
Shape meat mixture into balls, each about 1 inch in diameter.
In remaining hot butter, sauté meal balls, about half at a time, until browned all over (keep them round by shaking the pan). Remove meat balls to a quart casserole as they are browned. Remove skillet from heat. Pour off drippings.
Measure 2 T drippings, adding more butter if necessary. Pour back into skillet; add flour, the remaining 1/4 t salt, and the pepper, stirring together to make a smooth mixture. Gradually stir in beef broth. Bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly. Add cream and remaining 1/2 t dill week. Pour over meat balls in casserole.
Bake covered at 325°F for 30 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings
Source: Gator Country Cooks from The Junior League of Gainesville, Florida
Other messages in this thread:
- 2175. Any ideas what to do with ground beef tenderloin? My butcher - Denice - 2:55pm on 06/03/06 (13)
- This is THE best REC: Swedish Meatballs that I [NT] - Moyn - 3:48pm on 06/03/06
- This is THE best REC: Swedish Meatballs that I've ever done>> - Moyn - 3:49pm on 06/03/06
- I agree- best I've tasted, too! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 12:26am on 06/04/06
- Steak tartare. [NT] - Durward - 3:56pm on 06/03/06
- Make hamburger stroganoff.... :-) [NT] - Curious1 - 5:55pm on 06/03/06
- Thought about stuffing it down the stupid idiot butcher's throat? LOL.... - Music City Missy - 6:44pm on 06/04/06
- PS - Dave Bucholtz at Publix Cool Springs is the best butcher in our area! ... - Music City Missy - 6:47pm on 06/04/06
- That's really really good kifo- thank you! [NT] - Denice - 9:47pm on 06/04/06
- It was at Harris Teeter, it ended up being - Denice - 9:46pm on 06/04/06
- The Iron Chef AMerica episode last night was "Ground Beef Challenge" - you could have - LisainLA - 10:10pm on 06/04/06
- I;s love to hear avout it, or have a link! Sounds fun. [NT] - Denice - 1:39am on 06/05/06
- Unfortunately, they don't list the dishes or recipes for the Iron Chef shows - [LINK] - LisainLA - 5:09pm on 06/05/06
- OMG! My hands have been off the proper letters. Sorry about all mistakes! [NT] - Denice - 1:41am on 06/05/06