Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Found it: it was Tamiko who turned me onto using almond milk with the oats
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #20233 at 5:03 pm on Mar 22, 2011
Tamiko: Josh here's what I do, except I use steel-cut oats, not rolled....R
ec: Almond Butter Oatmeal
Posted: Mar 27, 2003 9:27 AM
I got the idea for toasting the oats from Cook's Illustrated, but the rest evolved on it's own. Hope you give it a try!
Almond Butter Oatmeal
1 C steel-cut oats
2 tsp or so butter
2 cups almond milk or rice milk (rice milk makes a sweeter oatmeal, but if you're watching carbs, use the almond milk or half of each)
2-3 Tbl almond-butter
Dash of salt
Toast oats in 2 tsp butter for 5-7 minutes on med heat. Bring milk to boil while oats are toasting and add oats when they are nutty brown. Reduce heat to low and simmer for approx 25 minutes with a lid on. When oats are finished, stir in almond butter which will further thicken the oatmeal. Top with ground flax, our whatever you so esire!
Makes 2 servings (for me, anyways) Reheat the oatmeal in the microwave by adding a bit of water or milk.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 20233. I've been trying to eat more oatmeal every week and found this Swiss Oatmeal with dates and honey [LINK] - AngAk - 9:31pm on 03/21/11 (12)
- the link just takes youto the book on Amazon. A search for "Swiss" will bring up the recipe, but - AngAk - 9:51pm on 03/21/11
- I do that with the steel cut oats - make a big batch and have it to take to work. - cheezz - 12:49am on 03/22/11
- I make steel cut with almond milk, almond butter, and almonds, thanks to a former poster. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:34pm on 03/22/11
- Found it: it was Tamiko who turned me onto using almond milk with the oats [LINK] - MarilynFL - 5:03pm on 03/22/11
- thanks Marilyn. I will try almond milk next. I'm having another bowl this morning at work. added - AngAk - 7:02pm on 03/22/11
- They have both unsweetened and sweetened in the cartons. I add Spenda if I use unsweetened. [NT] - MarilynFL - 7:13pm on 03/22/11
- If you've got a VitaMix, or have a friend that does, it wil make really great almond milk - MoNJ - 10:16pm on 03/22/11
- VitaMix is on my dream list. Can't see it happening any time soon. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:42pm on 03/24/11
- Golden Oats- a recipe for a side dish of oats which i found in an old (1979) recipe booklet from ... [LINK] - aajay - 2:54pm on 03/22/11
- thanks. this looks really interesting. [NT] - AngAk - 6:57pm on 03/22/11
- Mmm. I'll have to try adding dates to the way I do steel-cut, w/ maple syrup, soaked w/ orange peel. [NT] - ErininNY - 11:22pm on 03/22/11
- Ang we here do Silk light Vanilla its nice. [NT] - carol whidbey Is - 3:23pm on 03/23/11