Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Specknodel (Bacon Dumplings with Cabbage)
Joined: Jan 8, 2006
Posted to Thread #20745 at 9:44 pm on Oct 24, 2011
Richard, when she says white cabbage is she talking about Savoy? These sound fabulous.
SPECKKNODEL (BACON DUMPLINGS with WHITE CABBAGE)
500 grams floury potatoes, peeled
150 grams flour
1 small egg
200 grams bacon
200 grams crème fraîche
2 tablespoons corn starch
For the cabbage salad:
1 large white cabbage
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
200 grams lean bacon, cut in tiny cubes
100 ml white wine or apple cider vinegar
For the dumplings, cook the potatoes (without peeling or cutting them) until tender. Peel and mash with a fork or potato ricer (don't be tempted to use an electric whisk, or you'll end up with a glue-like mass that is impossible to work). When the potatoes have cooled down just enough to be able to handle them with your bare hands, add the egg and flour, season with salt and knead into a smooth dough.
Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions, flatten them in your hands and put a ball of bacon bits in the middle. Roll the dumplings with floury hands, making sure that the bacon is well enveloped and the dough closes tightly around them. Sit the dumplings in a greased, oven-proof dish and bake in the oven for ca. 25 minutes at 200 C.
Whisk the eggs, crème fraîche and corn starch together, season with salt and nutmeg and pour over the dumplings. Continue to cook until the egg mixture has set.
While the dumplings are baking, cut the cabbage into thin strips (no more than 5 mm) and cook in salted water with the caraway seeds until tender. Drain and return to the pot. Cut the bacon into 1 cm dice and fry in a shallow pan until nicely brown. When the bacon bits are done, add them and the fat they released to the cabbage. Return the pan to the stove and add the vinegar, heat it up and add to the cabbage. Mix through and keep warm until serving.
bacon recipe courtesy of: Johanna Wagner, thepassionatecook, London, UK, August 22, 2004
Other messages in this thread:
- 20745. Rec: Specknodel (Bacon Dumplings with Cabbage) - Melissa Dallas - 9:44pm on 10/24/11 (8)
- OMG - this is going on my to try list for this coming weekend. [NT] - Music City Missy - 3:31am on 10/25/11
- Have to try this asap! Sounds so good. [NT] - elaine - 6:07am on 10/25/11
- You had me at bacon!!!! [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 1:26pm on 10/25/11
- Melissa... - Richard in Cincy - 2:02pm on 10/25/11
- Thanks Richard. I'll try the salting/hot vinaigrette idea. - Melissa Dallas - 2:40pm on 10/25/11
- That's an interesting technique Richard. When I was a kid, there was a really great cook on our - Marg CDN2 - 4:30pm on 10/25/11
- well, that just BEGS the question: and what is the "other secret recipe"???? - MarilynFL - 1:08pm on 10/26/11
- It was a lemon pie with a whipped cream topping & a meringue crust. Uncommon crust for the old days. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 5:36pm on 10/26/11