Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Carianna in WA||
Ok - ding ding ding... we have a winner! I made...
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #263 at 2:30 am on Dec 30, 2005
Dawn's Creamy Chicken Enchiladas with Carmelized Onions and Roasted Red Bell Peppers.
Big 2 Yums Up from us! I added 1/4 t. cumin to the cream cheese filling and used corn tortillas instead of flour.
REC: Creamy Chicken Enchiladas a la Dawn
CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry
Amount Measure Ingredient --
-------- ------------ ---------------------
2 large onions -- thinly sliced
2 cups cooked chicken -- chopped
1/2 cup roasted red peppers -- chopped
6 ounces cream cheese -- cubed
2 tablespoons butter
1 package flour tortillas
1 large green enchilada sauce -- can
8 ounces Monterey jack cheese -- grated
salt -- to taste
In a wide frying pan over medium heat, cook
the onions in butter, for 20 minutes. Stir frequently to keep onions from burning. Remove from heat and add chicken, red bell peppers, and cream cheese; stir gently to blend, and season
Pour a little green sauce in bottom of 9X13 baking pan. Spoon about 1/3 C of filling down center of each tortilla and roll. Set enchiladas, seam side down in baking pan. Continue until pan is full. Cover with remaining
sauce and top with grated cheese. At this
point you may cover and refrigerate.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. If refrigerated, bake for 30 minutes, 15 minutes covered, remove foil and bake 15 minutes more. If not refrigerated, bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Makes approximately 12 enchiladas.
If you can't find the green enchilada sauce, you might try pureeing 2 large cans chopped green
chiles with some chopped raw onion, garlic,
salt and pepper, dried oregano leaves, and ground cumin. Then add about 3 small cans chicken broth. until mixture is the consistency of a thinned gravy.
"There's treasure everywhere!"
-Calvin, from Calvin & Hobbes
Other messages in this thread:
- 263. Hubby brought home a rotisserie chicken from Costco last night - Carianna in WA - 4:40pm on 12/29/05 (19)
- This is more a summer dish, but I love Epi's chicken salad with grapes and walnuts. [NT] [LINK] - Junebug - 4:45pm on 12/29/05
- I think they are delicious as is. Or are you looking - TerraFirma - 5:01pm on 12/29/05
- I guess I'm looking to turn it into something all 4 of us can eat for dinner tonight. [NT] - Carianna in WA - 5:20pm on 12/29/05
- Roast chicken? That is what we do - TerraFirma - 7:15pm on 12/29/05
- Crazy as it sounds, my kids don't like roast chicken!!! [NT] - Carianna in WA - 7:39pm on 12/29/05
- This is delicious- REC Korean Namasu - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:45pm on 12/29/05
- Here's another favorite at my house REC Chinese Chicken Salad - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:51pm on 12/29/05
- Or make chicken stuffed crepes (more) - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:57pm on 12/29/05
- I stew the leftover and make the white chicken chili. [NT] - AngAk - 7:02pm on 12/29/05
- I make Chicken Enchiladas with these - Mimi - 7:34pm on 12/29/05
- Ooh, hubby loves enchiladas... I hadn't thought of that! [NT] - Carianna in WA - 7:40pm on 12/29/05
- Dawn has a lovely cream cheese chicken enchilada casserole - AngAk - 8:12pm on 12/29/05
- Dawn_MO (then Dawn/SD) had on also. I don't think the one I... - DawnNYS - 9:36pm on 01/05/06
- I do the same thing, Mimi - deb-in-MI - 3:05pm on 12/30/05
- I made them last night... - Mimi - 7:36pm on 12/30/05
- Buffalo chicken dip might be a fun meal. It's in appetizer favorites here. [NT] - AngAk - 8:22pm on 12/29/05
- Ack! Now I have too many ideas! Swappers to the rescue! Thanks, everyone. [NT] - Carianna in WA - 9:01pm on 12/29/05
- Ok - ding ding ding... we have a winner! I made... - Carianna in WA - 2:30am on 12/30/05
- I make soup from them! Especially if they're dry... (nt) [NT] - Glennis_NoCA - 7:05am on 12/30/05