Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Carianna in WA||
I really hope y'all have checked in several times today to see my results of a final test... LOL
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #21423 at 5:57 am on Jan 16, 2012
Can you make polenta ahead and reheat? Yes.
Is it worth it? Nope.
A) It took about an hour to cook my original batch and I stirred it every 10 minutes or so.
B) It took about an hour to REHEAT my polenta, stirring it every 10 minutes or so.
Let's let that sink in, shall we? How am I saving time there? Oh, that's right, I'm not. Same time to reheat as to cook, and now I've paid TWICE for the propane on my stove as well as the additional milk and water I added during the reheating process.
End result: the taste was just as good in the reheated polenta. However, the texture was not s good. The chilled and reheated batch had some lumps that were much more challenging to disperse that the fresh-cooked batch didn't deal with.
Overall, I say that while, yes, you can make it ahead and reaheat it... there really isn't any advantage at all in doing so.
I will be cooking fresh polenta Saturday night. 6:1 ratio of liquid to cornmeal.
"There's treasure everywhere!"
-Calvin, from Calvin & Hobbes
Other messages in this thread:
- 21423. ISO: Polenta Chat - Carianna in WA - 1:25am on 01/14/12 (27)
- Carianna, I just use regular yellow cornmeal. The recipe I use is in the link. There's lots [LINK] - Joe - 2:19am on 01/14/12
- Here's a recipe for baked polenta that makes a great base for a stew. [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 2:21am on 01/14/12
- I have no idea, but I love #5. Probably the story of my life. [NT] - Curious1 - 2:20am on 01/14/12
- I use Bob's Red Mill Polenta, which is the same as Yellow Corn Grits - MarilynFL - 1:02pm on 01/14/12
- This article is the one throwing me off... well, and Alton Brown's recipe too [LINK] - Carianna in WA - 3:54pm on 01/14/12
- I'm a believer in the long stirring--it creates a distinctive texture. The article describes it well - Joe - 4:27pm on 01/14/12
- I use the Marcella Hazan method of cornmeal slipping through the fingers along - Marg CDN2 - 6:24pm on 01/14/12
- I'm stuck at home in the snow today, anyway. Maybe I'll make a small batch using the regular - Carianna in WA - 6:32pm on 01/14/12
- I like Lidia's recipe. I've copied one from ATK that intrigues me. - cyalexa2 - 7:38pm on 01/14/12
- I'm making it right now... I just tossed a pinch of soda into the water mix so we shall see! [NT] - Carianna in WA - 7:44pm on 01/14/12
- 30 minutes in I definitely notice it's less grainy and sweeter. [NT] - Carianna in WA - 8:18pm on 01/14/12
- wow, that is way more liquid ratio than I've used. Can't wait to hear results. [NT] - MarilynFL - 8:45pm on 01/14/12
- Initial results (without testing reheating yet) - Carianna in WA - 9:19pm on 01/14/12
- Thanks for reporting. - cyalexa2 - 2:00am on 01/15/12
- Well, as Marilyn would point out... I have variable issues. - Carianna in WA - 2:13am on 01/15/12
- I really hope y'all have checked in several times today to see my results of a final test... LOL - Carianna in WA - 5:57am on 01/16/12
- I've been watching :) curious to know what type of polenta/corn meal - MoNJ - 1:47pm on 01/16/12
- For the testing purpose I just used the cornmeal I had in the pantry. I think it's Albers. [NT] - Carianna in WA - 2:38pm on 01/16/12
- Was also surprised to see in this month's F&W, Mario Batali recipe using instant polenta :( HUH? [NT] - MoNJ - 1:48pm on 01/16/12
- I tweeted Mario Batali this morning and he answered right back... I asked if there was a particular - Carianna in WA - 3:49pm on 01/16/12
- Seriously? Mario tweeted you back? Does this mean we'll be seeing you in orange clogs? [NT] - MarilynFL - 5:26pm on 01/16/12
- He's pretty good about answering questions, actually. Plus, we're tight like that. LOL [NT] - Carianna in WA - 5:37pm on 01/16/12
- Ya. Like me and Alice. We sit around chatting up chocolate. (of course, the TRUE - MarilynFL - 8:20pm on 01/16/12
- I was on the edge of my seat all weekend! Seriously, I was curious to know how it came out - Joe - 4:22pm on 01/16/12
- I was interested to see that my "sputtering" problem can be avoided. The flesh on my arms - MarilynFL - 5:27pm on 01/16/12
- I'd be surprised too, but didn't Carianna suggest that some lumps were impossible? - Marg CDN2 - 6:07pm on 01/16/12
- Who's doing our next experiment?? This one was fun for me. Was it fun for you? [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 6:09pm on 01/16/12