Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joe, made the Maya Angelo Caramel Cake. Too sweet for me, but learned a lot.
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
Posted to Thread #21454 at 5:26 am on Jan 19, 2012
I love that she uses the liquid caramel in the cake batter and browned butter in the frosting was new for me too. I used your tip about holding back the browned bits.
When I mentioned the frosting was too sweet for me, my roommate said that's typical of southern cakes. Interesting.
Also, I remember you saying the recipe as written didn't make enough frosting. I found the same recipe on Martha Stewart's site, and it reflects that doubled frosting ratio.
You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M
Other messages in this thread:
- 21454. Joe, made the Maya Angelo Caramel Cake. Too sweet for me, but learned a lot. [LINK] - Traca - 5:26am on 01/19/12 (17)
- It's definitely a sweet, Southern-style cake. I find people protest the sweetness while they lick - Joe - 4:11pm on 01/19/12
- I made this into cupcakes(don't hate me) for my bookclub ladies and it had less icing than - AngAk1 - 7:01pm on 01/19/12
- How could I hate you? [NT] - Joe - 11:53pm on 01/19/12
- oh, I don't know. If Angie made 500 fresh ravioli in 2 hours... (hey, I'm just saying...) [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:42pm on 01/20/12
- Why're you tryin' to stir up trouble? [NT] - Joe - 3:31pm on 01/20/12
- "If you cut me, do I not bleed fresh ricotta?" [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:52pm on 01/20/12
- OK, now I can't bite into ravioli without feeling I'm murdering something. [NT] - Joe - 4:37pm on 01/20/12
- gahhhhh. and I'm having my coffee and last piece of Stollen as I read this. [NT] - AngAk1 - 7:04pm on 01/20/12
- Marilyn is jealous because she knows we love each other best. Sorry about your keyboard. - Joe - 4:29am on 01/21/12
- What makes this a caramel frosting?? No brown sugar or caramelization anywhere - cheezz - 2:17am on 01/26/12
- Perhaps because the butter is browned? [NT] - LisainLA - 11:58pm on 01/26/12
- Hmmm...but that doesn't make caramel. I'm making this cake on Monday :) [NT] - cheezz - 12:03am on 01/27/12
- No matter what you call the frosting, I'll bet it will be yummy! :D [NT] - LisainLA - 12:05am on 01/27/12
- I was wondering about that too. Looked recipe up on another site in case there was - Traca - 2:32am on 01/27/12
- What didn't you like about the frosting? [NT] - cheezz - 2:53am on 01/27/12
- Traca, Joe, Ang....I am making this cake for a Tues night event. How far in advance - cheezz - 10:13pm on 01/29/12
- I just got back to a computer----baking this today would be fine. or yesterday if you did so. [NT] - AngAk1 - 7:26pm on 01/30/12