Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
I planted 30 tomato plants...
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #22611 at 1:28 am on Aug 9, 2012
heirlooms, hybrids, I had it all. I thought, surely the local fauna could leave me some of the tomatoes.
No. They ate the tomato plants. They were staked and tied up, then, lo, a trunk out of the ground with the withering tops tied to the top of the stake, and 30 devoured tomato plants with all of the green tomatoes hanging gloriously from them.
The culprit is a colony of big fat ground hogs who have started homesteading under the solarium. The boys went outside and nearly tangled with him. I was so relieved he got under the fence before they caught him. He is bigger than they are. I think the boys would have won the battle, but at what price, how much blood, and how many trips to the vet?
I have set a trap baited with a big red apple and a trail of sweet cherries into the trap. Hopefully I will be driving the groundhog family off to a local park soon.
Can I just grow some tomatoes in my garden???
Other messages in this thread:
- 22611. New Tomato Recipes from the NYT - Marc In Seattle - 5:12pm on 08/08/12 (34)
- Bummer. This would imply that one has a source of tomatoes that taste like tomatoes. [NT] - MarilynFL - 7:32pm on 08/08/12
- Really? - Marc In Seattle - 8:23pm on 08/08/12
- Because Florida is the land of old people with no taste buds who love the heat. - Michael in Sarasota - 11:46pm on 08/08/12
- Tomatoes are tough to do here too - Melissa Dallas - 11:58pm on 08/08/12
- Ooh, send some cantaloupes here (NC). The ones we're getting from who knows where really suck. [NT] - Meryl - 12:29am on 08/09/12
- Yes, I've been buying locally grown from a farmers market since I've been here and was surprised - Curious1 - 4:19pm on 08/11/12
- Bummer.... - Marc In Seattle - 12:56am on 08/09/12
- Marilyn I was totally stunned when I spent a week in Florida... - Richard in Cincy - 1:05am on 08/09/12
- Welcome to my Culinary Hell. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:47pm on 08/09/12
- Then look at Traca's farmer's market photos and weep. [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:47pm on 08/09/12
- Tomato Tonnato. My dinner tonight. Merci bien [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 12:52am on 08/09/12
- Us too.... - Marc In Seattle - 12:57am on 08/09/12
- I planted 30 tomato plants... - Richard in Cincy - 1:28am on 08/09/12
- GROUNDHOG KILLER!!! - Marc In Seattle - 1:52am on 08/09/12
- Whatever it takes to keep my furry boys safe. Whatever... [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 3:02am on 08/09/12
- HAHA - Marc In Seattle - 3:27am on 08/09/12
- We had a guard in Swaziland who patrolled the yard with our trusty - PatBastrop - 3:28am on 08/09/12
- tastes like chicken?? [NT] - AngAk1 - 6:17pm on 08/09/12
- Hey Richard, be careful with your pups around that groundhog. - Miss Lola - 2:32am on 08/09/12
- Miss Lola I am so well aware of that... - Richard in Cincy - 3:00am on 08/09/12
- just think of the calories you burned---in weight watchers you could record activity points [NT] - AngAk1 - 6:21pm on 08/09/12
- I am with you! I always say I am the lion in this savannah...if you - Miss Lola - 1:39pm on 08/09/12
- Loved it... [LINK] - Marc In Seattle - 2:44am on 08/09/12
- Yep. Just what I felt like. This summer tomatoes are slow where we both live and it would be - Marg CDN2 - 3:29am on 08/09/12
- :) - Marc In Seattle - 3:53am on 08/09/12
- beautiful! and you all just crack me up---heirloom tomatoes, huh?!?! fresh garden beans ?!?! - AngAk1 - 6:26pm on 08/09/12
- Lol, I was reading this morning about a 20 lb carrot at the Alaska State Fair a few years back. [NT] - Curious1 - 6:56pm on 08/09/12
- Same here - ours are just coming in and they are wonderful! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 9:44am on 08/09/12
- Ditto, have been supplying the neighborhood with delicious tomatoes from my garden. There's just - Pat-NoCal - 2:52pm on 08/09/12
- please tell me how this was before I make it. Thanks [NT] - Janet in NC - 1:51am on 08/10/12
- Janet, we loved it! - Marc In Seattle - 1:55am on 08/10/12
- In case you want to see our take on it, I blogged it... [LINK] - Marc In Seattle - 2:41pm on 08/09/12