Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I never chop the leaves ahead. I tear only the big ones but it all gets chopped with the oil around
Joined: Oct 13, 2010
Posted to Thread #22629 at 8:43 pm on Aug 10, 2012
it all. I've never ever had this black problem. How discouraging.
Even when I've made huge whacks of pesto, I still always use oil to submerge the leaves before chopping. Oxygen has a lot of power over food.
I would imagine that the oil protects them and they don't have the opportunity to blacken when they are chopped.
Other messages in this thread:
- 22629. Pesto question and a recipe - DawnNYS - 7:49pm on 08/10/12 (11)
- Dawn, I had the same question a while back--here's the thread. [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 7:51pm on 08/10/12
- Thanks, a lot of good advice there [NT] - DawnNYS - 9:27pm on 08/10/12
- I never chop the leaves ahead. I tear only the big ones but it all gets chopped with the oil around - Marg CDN2 - 8:43pm on 08/10/12
- It was literally seconds before I added the oil. Oh well, black pesto still *tastes* good ;o) [NT] - DawnNYS - 9:29pm on 08/10/12
- P.S. The sweet potato reipe above is really, really good and refreshing [NT] - DawnNYS - 9:29pm on 08/10/12
- Well, Ferran (el Bulli) and I were just sitting around chatting and here's what he does - MarilynFL - 11:24pm on 08/10/12
- REc: Basil pesto as made by Marco - at his dinner table in Lerici, Italy. - elaine - 3:58am on 08/11/12
- Whoops - I forgot the 2 garlic cloves - start with them and the salt. [NT] - elaine - 3:59am on 08/11/12
- Elaine, you can edit your original post and add the garlic. [NT] - Meryl - 4:50am on 08/11/12
- I edited the post. Thanks. I am such an non tech person. [NT] - elaine - 6:57pm on 08/11/12
- No, your post is perfect! Thanks for the suggestion and recipe. [NT] - DawnNYS - 8:10pm on 08/12/12