Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Add whatever flavor you like...
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #23050 at 5:03 pm on Oct 13, 2012
I'm really liking curry leaf these days, that and fenugreek.
Dill would be good. As would rosemary.
Not that these are subs for cumin, which I adore and use by the scoopful.
Bean soup is just an open canvas waiting for flavor.
PS: Cincinnati Chili has cumin in it.
Other messages in this thread:
- 23050. Need advice substituting spices . . . . - magnolia in chicago - 4:31pm on 10/13/12 (21)
- You could leave it out, it does have a very distinctive flavor. Here are some sub ideas. [LINK] - LisainLA - 4:40pm on 10/13/12
- Cumin . . . - magnolia in chicago - 4:57pm on 10/13/12
- Chili powder (the combo) has cumin in it.Pure - Charley - 5:00pm on 10/13/12
- That's interesting about your dislike of curry, as it frequently includes cumin. Makes sense! [NT] - LisainLA - 8:35pm on 10/13/12
- magnolia, I'd leave it out completely. Cumin is a spice that can smell like unwashed people. - MarilynFL - 4:41pm on 10/13/12
- Substitutions . . . - magnolia in chicago - 5:02pm on 10/13/12
- I'd add some mexican oregano and black pepper. .. and lime. [NT] - PatBastrop - 6:56pm on 10/13/12
- or ground coriander instead of oregano [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 7:16pm on 10/13/12
- or fresh cilantro [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 8:57pm on 10/13/12
- If she hates cumin she may hate cilantro too. [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 2:33pm on 10/14/12
- I hate, hate, hate cumin, but love cilantro in all forms. [NT] - Sandra in New York - 7:14pm on 10/14/12
- That is a fantastic description for cumin! [NT] - Sandra in New York - 7:15pm on 10/14/12
- Add whatever flavor you like... - Richard in Cincy - 5:03pm on 10/13/12
- --LIke more garlic, and maybe a couple of drops of Wright's Liquid Smoke. (nt) [NT] - mistral - 6:13pm on 10/13/12
- I love that line.... "Bean soup is just an open canvas waiting for flavor". Well said! : ) [NT] - barb_b - 4:12pm on 10/14/12
- Add some smoked paprika! Not as a substitute, but as a great addition. It boosts everything. [NT] - Meryl - 7:38pm on 10/13/12
- I second this--smoked paprika is wonderful. [NT] - mistral - 8:50pm on 10/14/12
- Adding depth can make up for the need for more herbs or spices - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:01pm on 10/14/12
- thanks Cathy. [NT] - AngAk1 - 7:20pm on 10/15/12
- I'll take a look for that brand. I agree with the sideways move but also prefer to add herbs - Marg CDN2 - 8:34pm on 10/15/12
- Don't get me wrong- I use a lot of herbs - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:16am on 10/16/12