Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Well, first time ruining jam...any way to save this?
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #23141 at 8:13 pm on Oct 30, 2012
I'm so ticked off at myself for trying to follow directions instead of my instinct.
Got all my canning pots/etc going, cut up all my pluots and simmered with sugar to render juice, separated and boiled till syrupy (see recipe at link). Turned my back to find a therm and see if I could use my instant or polder given I don't have a candy one, and poof turned back to molten blackened lava. Clearly that's dead. Anything I could do with reserved fruit pulp? Of should I just toss that too. I'm so kicking myself right now.
PS I don't have a candy therm b/c the old glass one broke and the prop SS one I got to replace it melted the numbers off during first use.
PSS Guess I might as well ask this too - I have 2 Polder therms, one with a lead and one that is remote control. I've never been able to figure out how to use them. There I said it. Bah. I also have a hand held instant read -- could any of these double as a candy therm? The destructions on the ploders didn't seem to say either way.
The house smells of burnt sugar. Can I even toss that stuff down the drain?
The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way. - MTwain
Other messages in this thread:
- 23141. Well, first time ruining jam...any way to save this? [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 8:13pm on 10/30/12 (13)
- Egads...what about my pan?! Burnt sugar alert! (Update: pan survived perfectly) - MariaDNoCA - 8:19pm on 10/30/12
- Bummer about the jam... My advice for the pan: - ErininNY - 8:25pm on 10/30/12
- Erin! Good to hear from you...was worried. Pan is coming clean - MariaDNoCA - 8:39pm on 10/30/12
- Oh, yeah, boiling water will do the trick. - ErininNY - 8:53pm on 10/30/12
- So good to hear from you Erin, I've been worried. [NT] - Curious1 - 1:34am on 10/31/12
- Btw, I saw the stories on the news about the hospital evacuations and thought of you. [NT] - Curious1 - 1:39am on 10/31/12
- Thanks! Yes, next time, not choosing a hospital right on top of a river... :( [NT] - ErininNY - 2:47am on 10/31/12
- Glad you are ok! Hope everyone else came through as well. Now to deal witlh NYC - PatBastrop - 3:55am on 10/31/12
- I would be tempted to make a simple grape jelly(or maybe cranberry) from juice - AngAk1 - 8:33pm on 10/30/12
- or maybe freeze in small containers to add to cakes---like an apple cake/bread [NT] - AngAk1 - 8:34pm on 10/30/12
- The cooked pulots actually taste great - could I can as ice cream topping or something? - MariaDNoCA - 8:41pm on 10/30/12
- Do I really need to go buy a candy therm? (this was suppose to under first post) [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 9:09pm on 10/30/12
- No, don't buy a candy thermometer, use this T&T recipe for Cardamom-Plum Jam: - Steve2 in LA - 10:24pm on 10/30/12