Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
coconut cream pie report
Joined: Jan 13, 2012
Posted to Thread #23556 at 1:29 pm on Dec 31, 2012
The crust was the CI recipe using vodka. I took the beans I was using for pie weights out too soon and the entire bottom became a bubble. I was able to deflate the bubble but the crust did not settle all the way back into the junction of the floor and walls resulting in a bowl shaped crust. The filling was the recipe from CI recommended by several on this site. I only had sweetened coconut so I soaked it in milk for an hour before using it. I think that improved the texture as well as decreasing the sugar. The topping was Italian meringue. I combined information form several sources for the recipe. It was really good but I need to make less next time so I don't have meringue for lunch again. I had some difficulty cutting the pie and moving the pieces, possibly due to the problems with my misshapen crust (sorry the cut piece pic is a little blurry). There was no beading and the meringue adhered fairly well to the filling. At original service there was no weeping but there was a tiny bit after 2 days in the refrigerator. I'll be trying again in a few weeks for hubby's b'day.
Other messages in this thread:
- 23556. coconut cream pie report [IMAGE] - cyalexa2 - 1:29pm on 12/31/12 (5)
- That looks really great, and delicious! Nice work! [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 3:24pm on 12/31/12
- Very nice job and a suggestion for next time - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:21pm on 12/31/12
- Thanks for the tips, I need all the help I can get! [NT] - cyalexa2 - 7:26pm on 12/31/12
- No you don't- that is a beautiful pie- it looks professional. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 8:38pm on 12/31/12
- You're too kind! [NT] - cyalexa2 - 10:42pm on 12/31/12