Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
thanks for your reply
Joined: Jan 13, 2012
Posted to Thread #23601 at 12:42 am on Jan 7, 2013
I'm glad to hear that it will become less salty as it continues to ferment.
I started it 8 days ago. I am weighing it down so that all the cabbage is under brine. At last check I had minimal scum, just some bubbles.
Good to know that it will freeze. I am using the crock out of my original, about 30-year-old Rival Crock Pot so I won't have a huge quantity but probably more than we will eat at one meal.
Before I make another batch, I'll check out the Claussen and Boar's Head brand.
Other messages in this thread:
- 23601. My first crock of homemade sauerkraut is almost ready. - cyalexa2 - 3:15am on 01/06/13 (19)
- I'm impressed! I've never made my own before. I always soak the the bought version for a half-hour - Joe - 4:23am on 01/06/13
- It was a little time consuming but not hard. - cyalexa2 - 1:33pm on 01/06/13
- My German friend taught me to cook the store bought long and slow and - Janet in NC - 2:08pm on 01/06/13
- I do it a similar way, Janet but I am probably more extreme - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:40pm on 01/06/13
- I do it your way too Cathy when I am having a roast. Sometimes I use a - Janet in NC - 7:22pm on 01/06/13
- Thanks Janet- that is really nice. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 8:28pm on 01/06/13
- That is really cool! I am excited for you! Let us know how it tastes,what you use it in and most - barb_b - 2:49pm on 01/06/13
- Will do! [NT] - cyalexa2 - 4:55pm on 01/06/13
- I used to make a couple big crocks of sauerkraut every year - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:08pm on 01/06/13
- thanks for your reply - cyalexa2 - 12:42am on 01/07/13
- I just think it is wonderful that you are making your own- every skill learned is valuable [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 1:58am on 01/07/13
- I will add that I never made small batches- mine were always done in 5-10 gal crocks - CathyZ from Kauai - 2:57am on 01/07/13
- I have to ask--what were your 5-10 gal crocks made of? I've seen recipes call for stone crocks--like - Joe - 3:11am on 01/07/13
- You can also use glass. [LINK] - cyalexa2 - 3:33am on 01/07/13
- I am lucky enough to have old family 4, 5 and 10 gallon stoneware Red Wing crocks [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:57pm on 01/07/13
- Joe, I would not use stainless. Do you have a big ceramic cookie jar? If glazed inside that would - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:11pm on 01/07/13
- Hmmm, I have an old ceramic water dispenser--the type you would use with a Sparklets bottle - Joe - 10:19pm on 01/07/13
- Does it come with a babushka? [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 12:45am on 01/07/13
- My mother's family was from Hungary so I know from babushkas! [NT] - cyalexa2 - 1:58am on 01/07/13