Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joe, GREAT idea about freezing food and bringing it up before it's thawed. Our cabin
Joined: Feb 5, 2006
Posted to Thread #23909 at 7:46 am on Feb 24, 2013
is at 3500 feet, because the mountains in this area isn't higher than around 7000 feet.
My family had a cabin so I grew up with one. It was tiny, with only one bedroom, no bathroom and really very spartan. My grandfather built it himself and we spent every Easter up there when I was a kid. I can't believe my paren't took four kids up there for a week every winter, but they did. I love them for giving me those memories, but it must have been a ton of work and I can't imagine a family doing the same today.
My mother had the old cabin re-built 10-15 years ago and she put in solar panels and a bathroom and a fridge and an oven (all on gas) so it has turned out really great. My family cabin is situated by a lake (we have a boat so we go fishing there) while my cabin is up in the mountain with a spectacular view. We have three bedrooms and a bath, and a water tank that we fill manually so we can shower and do everything we do in "normal life", but still we need to carry the water so we think twice before spending any.
The only thing that scares me about my cabin is the toilet. My mother has this wonderful bio toilet that (eventuelly) turns everything into soil.
The old owner of my cabin put in a toilet with a burning device that burns everything into ashes. It's practically a miniature crematorium, and it scares the heck out of me! It's supposedly the *latest thing* in mountain-cabin-toilet-fashion, but if I could choose myself, I'd definitely go with the bio toilet. Oh well, too late for that now.
But I LOVE being up here. It's so peaceful and calming and we have wonderful ski tracks here. What's not to like? :-)
"I Love Cooking With Wine. Sometimes I Even Put It In The Food."
Other messages in this thread:
- 23909. Anyone else here with experience from cooking at a mountain cabin? - EvaN - 5:17pm on 02/23/13 (26)
- Let me add: The cabin doesn't have water (we have to carry it inside from a pump house outside) - EvaN - 5:21pm on 02/23/13
- two things that I'd start with are: 1) cast iron dutch oven - pmassell_93 - 6:17pm on 02/23/13
- Me, I'd start with reservations at the nearest Hilton....I know, I'm a wimp :) [NT] - cheezz - 3:02am on 02/24/13
- LoL, Cheezz :-D. I do own an electric tea kettle (I drink tea every day) so I have that. A cast iron - EvaN - 8:00am on 02/24/13
- I can offer you a link to Christina Cooks. I watch her regularly on TV and [LINK] - FloriSandy - 3:33am on 02/24/13
- What a great site. I've never heard of her before, but I'm definitely checking her out! [NT] - EvaN - 7:56am on 02/24/13
- I can offer you a link to Christina Cooks. I watch her regularly on TV and [LINK] - FloriSandy - 3:44am on 02/24/13
- Here's what I mean about the chafing dish/sterno set here at link. Sorry about the double vision. [LINK] - FloriSandy - 3:57am on 02/24/13
- Not that I own one, but a crock pot seems perfect for this. - MariaDNoCA - 4:15am on 02/24/13
- I don't think I could live without my crockpot! [NT] - DawnNYS - 8:54pm on 02/25/13
- I'm not sure I'd know what to do with one... - MariaDNoCA - 7:55am on 03/13/13
- Maria, I have this 1.5 quart small crock pot that I just love for the 2 of us. bought it on a whim [LINK] - AngAk1 - 6:16pm on 03/13/13
- Congratulations! I have such fond memories of family mountain vacations. What's the elevation? - Joe - 4:26am on 02/24/13
- Joe, GREAT idea about freezing food and bringing it up before it's thawed. Our cabin - EvaN - 7:46am on 02/24/13
- I don't know how my parents did it either. With 8 kids and 2 weeks' worth of supplies all crammed in - Joe - 5:13pm on 02/24/13
- I'm sorry, I have to ask... - orchid - 5:41pm on 02/24/13
- LOL. No, he was on top of the Mercedes. [NT] - Joe - 10:21pm on 02/24/13
- What dog? :o( [NT] - DawnNYS - 9:50pm on 02/25/13
- We were making catty references to Mitt Romney's poor Irish setter. I know I know, - Joe - 11:56pm on 02/25/13
- Oh.. I thought I blacked out for a minute ;o) [NT] - DawnNYS - 8:36pm on 02/27/13
- Hi Eva. Nice! I'm not promoting any particular brand, but the other day on [LINK] - DawnNYS - 8:51pm on 02/25/13
- my boss has one type of this cooker and loves it. great for roasting meat/poultry [NT] - AngAk1 - 1:58am on 02/26/13
- I love the induction cooker, Dawn. DH is looking into it now. :-) [NT] - EvaN - 7:35pm on 02/27/13
- a small gas or electric grill. small canisters of fuel aren't too hard to cart up if gas. - AngAk1 - 2:02am on 02/26/13
- Ang, I never thought of a grill, but that's a wonderful idea. As a matter of fact, I do have a small - EvaN - 7:37pm on 02/27/13
- yay, re-purposing. those small grills are great if it's just the 2 of you. [NT] - AngAk1 - 11:46pm on 02/27/13