Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|CathyZ from Kauai||
In the 70s I gardened in bushel baskets of mulch- worked great. Same principal
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #23962 at 9:36 pm on Mar 5, 2013
I used dried grass clippings, dried leaves then I tried mulched tree branches and it worked the best. Ang, I'm sure you could find something that will work for you in AK. Bales of straw or hay are prohibitive cost-wise here in HI too. But just try to find bushel baskets these days :) Wooden crates would do fine. Not plastic- would hold the moisture too much.
Another popular gardening method at the time was to just take large bags of potting soil, cut an "X" in the bag and plant tomatoes or whatever right in the bag.
I'm actually thinking of doing something with mulch here as our soil is very hard red dirt clay.
Other messages in this thread:
- Very interesting idea. I found other links to share [LINK] [IMAGE] - colleenmomof2 - 4:20pm on 03/05/13
- Straw Bale Gardening Data Sheet W.Virginia U. [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 4:34pm on 03/05/13
- Organic conditioning straw bale gardening recipe [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 4:41pm on 03/05/13
- Notes from someone who attended [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 4:53pm on 03/05/13
- The conditioning recipe copied from your link - colleenmomof2 - 4:31pm on 03/05/13
- Marilyn, Thanks again for sharing this process! - colleenmomof2 - 5:31pm on 03/05/13
- You're very welcome, colleen. Here is the original article I read. [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 8:37pm on 03/05/13
- thanks Marilyn and Colleen! can't wait for Joe to add his thoughts. I think this would work up here - AngAk1 - 7:42pm on 03/05/13
- I've never tried it or seen it tried directly, so I don't have much to add, but I've read that it - Joe - 12:59am on 03/07/13
- our garden bed is in a patch of tundra near the river---the river that flooded over last summer and - AngAk1 - 2:21am on 03/07/13
- gardening in AK fascinates me - pmassell_93 - 2:47am on 03/07/13
- picture of the flooding and the proposed garden area: the right side of the picture [IMAGE] - AngAk1 - 6:03pm on 03/15/13
- thanks from me also - pmassell_93 - 2:48am on 03/07/13
- In the 70s I gardened in bushel baskets of mulch- worked great. Same principal - CathyZ from Kauai - 9:36pm on 03/05/13
- I saw a demo of this at Sunset Magazine and considered it, now considering Sq Ft Garden... [IMAGE] - MariaDNoCA - 11:13pm on 03/05/13
- Now this is just my size :) [NT] - cheezz - 10:24pm on 03/06/13
- I am putting in some of these cement cinder block gardens for the kids this spring. [LINK] - Dawn_MO - 2:37am on 03/10/13
- dawn, thanks for the link. I think cinder blocks would be ideal and affordable for our raised beds [NT] - AngAk1 - 7:21pm on 03/11/13
- This sounds like a very cool idea - hope you post some pictures! [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 8:31am on 03/13/13