Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I am going to make Yotam Ottolenghi's favorite baked rice (REC inside)
Joined: Dec 21, 2005
Posted to Thread #24074 at 5:29 pm on Mar 28, 2013
to accompany a ham steak, and perhaps some greens or green beans.
REC: Yotam Ottolenghi's Lemon and Curry Leaf Rice
Try to get hold of fresh curry leaves on the stem for this dish – they freeze well, so don't worry if you end up with a big bunch. Serve with an Asian savoury pickle, to make a vegetarian meal, the duck and mango curry, or even with a simple roast chicken. Serves four.
5 short cinnamon sticks (10g)
10 whole cloves
1 lemon, zest shaved, pith removed
2 stems fresh curry leaves – about 25 leaves (or 35 dried curry leaves) (OR use 10 basil leaves and 1 bay leaf - HAL's edit)
Salt and white pepper
400g basmati rice, rinsed, soaked in water for 15 minutes and drained
60g unsalted butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. In a saucepan put the cinnamon, cloves, lemon zest, curry leaves, a teaspoon and a half of salt, half a teaspoon of pepper and 650ml of cold water, and place on a high heat. As soon as it comes to a boil, remove from the heat.
Put the rice in a roughly 24cm x 30cm ovenproof dish or roasting tray, pour over the hot spice water and stir. Lay a piece of greaseproof paper over the surface and cover the dish with foil. Bake for 25 minutes, then remove and leave, still covered, to sit for eight to 10 minutes.
Just before serving, melt the butter in small saucepan. Once it has melted and is very hot, carefully add the lemon juice and swirl to mix. Pour this over the hot rice and fluff it up with a fork. Taste for seasoning, transfer to a serving bowl and serve at once (if you prefer, remove the curry branches and cinnamon sticks).
• Yotam Ottolenghi is chef/patron of Ottolenghi and Nopi in London.
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Other messages in this thread:
- 24074. Can we start an Easter Thread? So far I'm doing a spiral ham, layered salad (made the day before) - Elenor - 3:22pm on 03/25/13 (46)
- I'm doing Carrot Fennel Soup, Roast Leg of Lamb, Roasted Potatoes, Caramelized Shallots, - Sylvia - 7:25pm on 03/25/13
- wonderful sounding menu! have fun with it Sylvia [NT] - AngAk1 - 10:23pm on 03/25/13
- Mmm, carrot fennel soup sounds great, Sylvia. 'May have to add that to - DawnNYS - 8:17pm on 03/25/13
- Here's the recipe.... [NT] [LINK] - Sylvia - 10:14pm on 03/25/13
- Thanks Sylvia... I wonder how it would be without the garlic. Is it very strong? [NT] - DawnNYS - 5:08pm on 03/26/13
- The garlic is not a pronounced flavour. There are enough other things in the soup so it's in balance [NT] - Sylvia - 7:18pm on 03/26/13
- Forgot about the asparagus. And the deviled chicks. I may try making the crab [LINK] - DawnNYS - 5:12pm on 03/26/13
- Paella...our standard "special days" meal :) Oh, and garlic bread of course [NT] - cheezz - 8:59pm on 03/25/13
- I love paella. Yum! [NT] - Sylvia - 10:15pm on 03/25/13
- the usual Easter Sunday suspects :) - MoNJ - 9:26pm on 03/25/13
- wow, I want an invite. [NT] - AngAk1 - 10:25pm on 03/25/13
- You had me until the salami.... : ) What a nice menu, and fun to keep traditions going... - barb_b - 3:09pm on 03/26/13
- Pie with Salami is a riff on a traditional Italian-American Easter Pie, Pizza Rustica. It's a deep- [LINK] - Marianne - 4:59pm on 03/26/13
- I made these Easter Egg Cookies on Saturday. used Penny's Sugar Cookie recipe and icing, but KAF [LINK] [IMAGE] - AngAk1 - 10:19pm on 03/25/13
- What a great job, Ang! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 11:51pm on 03/25/13
- Beautiful cookie art, Angie! [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 2:59am on 03/26/13
- I've been wanting to try that chevron pattern - did you use the sugar baby icing? [NT] - cheezz - 4:14am on 03/26/13
- yes, worked beautifully. this is really so very easy. I used ziplock bags and toothpicks - AngAk1 - 6:28pm on 03/26/13
- Awwww...he was just putting his special touch on them :) [NT] - cheezz - 9:13pm on 03/26/13
- it was so funny---we were trying so hard not to laugh or scold him too much about the double dipping - AngAk1 - 11:36pm on 03/26/13
- Beautiful cookies! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:21am on 03/26/13
- Hippy power! Love em'. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:46pm on 03/26/13
- those wild ones ended up being "saves" of polka dots that went wonky. I just - AngAk1 - 6:30pm on 03/26/13
- I got about 2 1/2 dozen total. I had an egg cutter. can't imagine cutting freehand [NT] - AngAk1 - 6:32pm on 03/26/13
- WOW, Ang, these are just beautiful! Great job. [NT] - Barbara in VA - 4:30pm on 03/26/13
- We are having... - KarenNoCA - 11:46pm on 03/25/13
- Karen, would you kindly post the lemon recipe please. [NT] - Sylvia - 12:00am on 03/26/13
- Yes, please post - sounds like a perfect finish. [NT] - elaine - 5:16am on 03/26/13
- Quiche recipe developer using your ingredients [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 3:05pm on 03/26/13
- Ooh, sounds interesting. I just made some last weekend; 'love quiche. [NT] - DawnNYS - 5:16pm on 03/26/13
- Three great looking lamb recipes are in today's NY Times. [NT] [LINK] - Sylvia - 9:37am on 03/27/13
- I'm salivating over this new Yotem recipe from "Jerusalem": hummus & lamb [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 3:50pm on 03/27/13
- Be sure to check out Mark Bittman's carving lesson on the page posted above. [NT] - Sylvia - 4:12pm on 03/27/13
- I am going to make Yotam Ottolenghi's favorite baked rice (REC inside) [LINK] - Heather_in_SF - 5:29pm on 03/28/13
- Unfortunately this is going to be a sad Easter, my stepdad has dementia - Heather_in_SF - 5:34pm on 03/28/13
- Oh Heather, I'm so sorry! I will add your dad to our prayer chain.92! So amazing these days! [NT] - cheezz - 4:29am on 03/29/13
- Thank you, I really appreciate that. [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 7:32pm on 03/29/13
- (((Heather))), hang in there girl. [NT] - FloriSandy - 4:05am on 04/03/13
- Heather, thinking of you during this difficult time. You did such a great thing by - barb_b - 11:17am on 04/03/13
- Had been going through this also the last 3 years with my Dad - carol whidbey Is - 11:55am on 04/08/13
- Here are the crustless quiches that I am going to make. - Dawn_MO - 12:39pm on 03/29/13
- thanks! DH is doing WW and these would work well for easy breakfast [NT] - AngAk1 - 5:34pm on 03/29/13