Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Spicy Blueberry Ginger Chutney
Joined: Dec 21, 2005
Posted to Thread #24253 at 6:38 pm on May 2, 2013
I referenced this in the string above but couldn't find the recipe anywhere, it's really delicious and savory and different. Amazing on a pork sandwich, with cheese or with poultry.
from the Luna Park Cafe
REC: Spicy Blueberry Ginger Chutney
This deep violet chutney is sweet, tart, spicy hot, and packed with flavor. I especially love it with artisan crackers topped with local cream cheese or farmers cheese. Or as an accompaniment to a savory chèvre or gorgonzola cheesecake.
1 cup best-quality red wine vinegar
1 cup sugar
½ stick Mexican cinnamon
6 allspice berries
3 pieces star anise
½ cup skinned, finely minced garlic (about 1 large head)
½ cup peeled, finely minced fresh ginger
½ cup stemmed, seeded, finely minced jalapeno chiles (wear disposable gloves)
4 cups (l pound 3-ounces) fresh blueberries
½ cup golden raisins, optional
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
½ teaspoon salt
In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar and sugar, and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat.
Tie the cinnamon, allspice, and star anise loosely in a small piece of cheesecloth. Add to the saucepan and macerate for at least ½ hour. (If you don’t have cheesecloth, just throw in the spices, and then fish them out later.)
Reheat the chutney, and add garlic, ginger, chiles, and 1 cup blueberries. Bring to a simmer.
Simmer slowly, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens and reduces by half, about 10-15 minutes.
Remove the spices.
Add the remaining 3 cups of blueberries and 1-2 tablespoons water if needed.
Simmer until most of the blueberries have softened and the sauce is somewhat thickened, about 5 minutes. Don’t go too far here though. The chutney will thicken more as it cools, and you do want some of the blueberries to retain their shape.
Remove from the heat, stir in the raisins if using, and then add crushed red pepper and salt to taste.
Let cool, put into a plastic container, cover, and refrigerate until cold.
Makes 3 cups.
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Other messages in this thread:
- 24253. I have a couple of bags of blueberries in the freezer... can we start a blueberry thread? I need the - DawnNYS - 8:13pm on 05/01/13 (38)
- Jam? [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 8:15pm on 05/01/13
- Blueberry muffins. It's my foundest memory from NYC :-) [NT] - EvaN - 8:16pm on 05/01/13
- Blueberry-Lemon Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (Yes, from Epi, but still good.) ;) - ErininNY - 9:38pm on 05/01/13
- Blueberry Muffins (Jordan Marsh) [LINK] - Meryl - 10:00pm on 05/01/13
- Tons Of Blueberry Coffee Cake [LINK] - Meryl - 10:01pm on 05/01/13
- Looks delicious Meryl. Printed and thanks! [NT] - FloriSandy - 2:29am on 05/02/13
- You're very welcome! [NT] - Meryl - 3:45am on 05/02/13
- Another idea is to make a blueberry sauce and serve it over vanilla ice cream. I do that often. [NT] - Meryl - 10:04pm on 05/01/13
- Blueberry crumble came to mind. [NT] - barb_b - 10:54pm on 05/01/13
- Rec: Meryl's Strawberry Coffee Cake. I've made this using peaches and blueberries. All excellent! [NT] [LINK] - CynUpstateNY - 11:00pm on 05/01/13
- Or blueberry syrup for pancakes & waffles [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 12:07am on 05/02/13
- I like the following Blueberry Spread for topping ice cream, pancakes, toast, etc - Elenor - 1:12am on 05/02/13
- I have not tried these yet, but they look yummy - REC: Blueberry Cookies [LINK] - LisainLA - 1:15am on 05/02/13
- REC: Blueberry Crumble from CI -- I've made this a hundred times :) [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 1:54am on 05/02/13
- I know you already made a pie but this blueberry pie from CI is out of this world [LINK] - cheezz - 1:56am on 05/02/13
- There is a version of this same CI Blueberry Pie w/ pie crust REC included. I love their - wigs - 3:08pm on 05/02/13
- I love the crust too - more tender than regular, but I do gluten free crust now :) [NT] - cheezz - 5:00pm on 05/02/13
- REC: Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze - MariaDNoCA - 2:22am on 05/02/13
- I like to make Fruit Pizza with blueberries and strawberries, especially for the 4th of July [NT] [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 2:26am on 05/02/13
- I LOVE this post - thanks to all for their contributions and Dawn for asking:) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:51am on 05/02/13
- Yippeeee, thanks everyone. This will keep me busy :o) [NT] - DawnNYS - 7:34pm on 05/02/13
- Another Blueberry Muffin recipe - sjs1952 - 1:12pm on 05/02/13
- Rec.: Blueberry-Lemon MINI Muffins - I thought Michael would post these, but ok...I will :) - MariaDNoCA - 3:09pm on 05/02/13
- Blueberry Buckle from Martha.... - MariaDNoCA - 3:17pm on 05/02/13
- REC: Blueberry Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake frm old Gail's in 2002 posted by Sandi in Hawaii [LINK] - wigs - 3:22pm on 05/02/13
- from NLB Rec: Overnight Blueberry Puff - MariaDNoCA - 3:23pm on 05/02/13
- Pat's Blueberry Spice Cake - MariaDNoCA - 3:26pm on 05/02/13
- and just because we need something to drink...Blueberry Mojito Cocktail - MariaDNoCA - 4:17pm on 05/02/13
- I know that I must have posted this before but here again is REC: Blueberry Cheese Pie... - charlie - 4:51pm on 05/02/13
- And here is charlie's Shortbread Cookie Crust REC to go w/ his Blueberry Cheese Pie==> [LINK] - wigs - 6:14pm on 05/02/13
- Thanks Wigs---I forgot to add it--after I told myself that I needed to do so---- [NT] - charlie - 11:57pm on 05/02/13
- Here is a link to when this was discussed in 2009, great recipes in here!! [NT] [LINK] - Heather_in_SF - 6:32pm on 05/02/13
- REC: Spicy Blueberry Ginger Chutney [LINK] - Heather_in_SF - 6:38pm on 05/02/13
- Thanks Heather (and everyone). I was thinking about this when I posted the request. [NT] - DawnNYS - 7:35pm on 05/02/13
- this post should be added to the favorite posts in T&T [NT] - AngAk1 - 8:35pm on 05/02/13
- Done [NT] - DawnNYS - 6:41pm on 05/20/13
- Yes, indeed. Those blueberry crumb bars. If the berries are superb, simple is best. [NT] [LINK] - Marg CDN2 - 3:59pm on 05/03/13
- Gay posted this winner a while ago REC: East Blue Hill Blueberry Coffee Cake by Maida Heatter... - charlie - 12:04am on 05/03/13