Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Green smoothie tips...
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #24263 at 5:29 pm on May 5, 2013
This is from some info I collected and posted over in the VM group when I was a newbie to someone that wasn't having luck getting smoothies to taste good. The general rule for newbie tastes is 60% fruit/40% veggies:
Here's a bit of info that's helped me:
<a href="http://vitamixlady.com/green-smoothies/">Lea Ann's tips on ratios and fruit/veggies: click here</a>
<a href="http://greensmoothiesblog.com/guidelines-green-smoothies/ ">Guidelines for green smoothies: click here</a>
<a href="http://greensmoothiesblog.com/how-to-make-a-green-smoothie-tips/">How to make a green smoothie tasty every times click here</a>
<a href="http://www.rawfamily.com/films/15-green-smoothies-in-3-minutes">15 Green Smoothies in 3 minutes: click here</a>
For my newbie taste buds you aren't using enough fruit, and sweet fruit at that (example I love cantaloupe but haven't hit the right combo with it yet because it's a milder flavor) . Also, to start I've found keeping it simple and not adding too many things is helping to hone my tastes to see what works for me. I don't add any protein powers/etc because I read you get protein from greens and it's easier on the stomach. I'd learn what tastes good to you then build in additions to see what works for you.
A favorite combo is 6-7 chunks? pineapple, 1 yellow mango, 1 banana, 1-2 small handfuls of spinach (at first I used giant wad handfuls and it was too much), ice.
I've sub'ed 2 tangelos/navel oranges for either the pineapple or mango in this comb. Also, I made the mistake of using kale in the same amounts as spinach - yuck no, at least right now. Just a few leaves works better for me at the moment. I'm now adding chia seeds (you can't taste them) but don't let it set or the smoothie gets pretty thick.
I am using fresh and organic whenever possible.
Right now the yellow mangos are on sale and super tasty
Tangelos are on sale; ditto navel oranges
I broke down and bought the big container of cut pineapple at Whole Foods while waiting for a whole one to ripen. It turned out to be cost effective because I got 4-5 smoothies out of that so turned in to a good deal.
I've tried strawberries but I'm waiting for them to come in season at better prices (organic) so I can use enough of them to give me a strong flavor.
I just picked up "Green for Life" at the library yesterday per Lea Ann's recommendation (same person/family of the other links above) to learn more.
The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way. - MTwain
Other messages in this thread:
- 24263. Which Vitamix do you recommend? - Michael in Sarasota - 12:20pm on 05/03/13 (19)
- Frugal bones are overrated, Michael (You heard it from a kitchen gadget hoarder) [NT] - EvaN - 5:06pm on 05/03/13
- I got the 6300 in RED!!! - Music City Missy - 7:16pm on 05/03/13
- Just looked at Costco.com and they have the 5200 online that includes dry blade for $479 - Music City Missy - 7:19pm on 05/03/13
- I chose the Pro 300, in red....named her Ruby! :-) Almost got the Costco [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 1:41am on 05/04/13
- By the way, my husband has lost 11 lbs with the morning green smoothies since we - Pat-NoCal - 1:50am on 05/04/13
- BTW - what all are you putting in those smoothies? [NT] - Music City Missy - 2:35am on 05/04/13
- Pat, tell me about your green smoothies- I am just going to start a green detox thing [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:08pm on 05/04/13
- Thanks for sharing the group and way to go to your hubby! - Music City Missy - 2:35am on 05/04/13
- Marsha hooked me up with LeeAnn. Here is her new Vitamix website. [LINK] - MarilynFL - 10:55am on 05/04/13
- Love the toupee! Lee Ann's Blendtec to Vitamix - colleenmomof2 - 11:47am on 05/04/13
- Another fan of Lee Ann's and her VM group... - MariaDNoCA - 8:55pm on 05/04/13
- Mar/Michael, for inspiration: here's 52 ways to use your VM [NT] [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 5:13pm on 05/05/13
- and 66 things/tools you can replace using a VM [NT] [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 5:19pm on 05/05/13
- Thanks all! I just ordered the refurbished 7500/Pro 300 from Lea Ann for $399. - Michael in Sarasota - 1:31am on 05/05/13
- Found out they only have the refurbished ones in red so I'll name mine "Slippers" [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 7:48pm on 05/05/13