Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
cyalexa2, this is the recipe I use now: Morel soup
Joined: Feb 5, 2006
Posted to Thread #24303 at 12:29 pm on May 28, 2013
2 ounces dried morels or chanterelles
1/4 cup Madeira wine
8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
2 pounds fresh mushrooms
Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
4 cups chicken stock
1 pint heavy cream (optional)
Rinse the dried mushrooms well in a sieve under cold running water and soak them in the wine for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Melt the butter in a large heavy pot over low heat. Add the onions and cook, covered, over low heat until they are tender and lightly colored, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
Trim the stems from the fresh mushrooms and save for another use. Wipe the caps with a damp cloth and slice thin. Add the caps to the soup pot, season with salt and pepper and cook over low heat, uncovered, stirring frequently, 15 minutes. Carefully lift the mushrooms from the bowl with a slotted spoon and transfer to the soup pot. Let the wine settle a moment and then pour it carefully into the soup pot, leaving the sediment behind.
Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the dried mushrooms are very tender, 45 minutes. Strain the soup and transfer the solids to a food processor. Add 1 cup of the liquid and purée until very smooth. Return the purée to the soup pot along with the remaining liquid and set over medium heat. Taste, correct the seasoning and thin the soup slightly with heavy cream if it seems too thick. Heat until steaming and serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8 portions
"I Love Cooking With Wine. Sometimes I Even Put It In The Food."
Other messages in this thread:
- 24303. morels on my property! - cyalexa2 - 1:29am on 05/12/13 (15)
- Best way is not to. Eat them FRESH. What a find!! [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 1:34am on 05/12/13
- I will, but, - cyalexa2 - 1:47am on 05/12/13
- We have them too so here is what we do.... - Music City Missy - 3:38am on 05/12/13
- A friend gave me a bunch of morel last year and I blogged about it. [LINK] - Heather_in_SF - 5:37pm on 05/13/13
- If they did, I should probably be dead by now. - Music City Missy - 9:53pm on 05/13/13
- Isn't that a funny one? Her superstitions are odd, and yet I have to reassure her that - Heather_in_SF - 11:43pm on 05/13/13
- Okay- here is some info for you - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:39am on 05/12/13
- Thanks for the info. - cyalexa2 - 10:42am on 05/13/13
- Lucky you :-). I love morels, and morel soup is one of my absolute favorite dishes :-) [NT] - EvaN - 11:27am on 05/13/13
- will you share the soup recipe? [NT] - cyalexa2 - 3:43am on 05/15/13
- cyalexa2, this is the recipe I use now: Morel soup - EvaN - 12:29pm on 05/28/13
- I am so so so envious. Morel cream sauce, duxelles. I can`t even imagine 900 [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 5:54pm on 05/13/13
- A local grocery store is buying morels for $25.00 per lb & promptly selling them 4 $45.00 per. If - wigs - 12:29pm on 05/14/13
- My brother has sold several lbs on ebay for $27/lb. - cyalexa2 - 3:42am on 05/15/13
- Just got home from my trip. - cyalexa2 - 1:48am on 05/16/13