Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Just a tip: Never EVER try a new recipe if you are making a cake for a funeral. As in ever!
Joined: Feb 5, 2006
Posted to Thread #24408 at 7:41 pm on May 30, 2013
DH's grandmother died and the funeral was today, and I offered DH's mom to lend her a hand (or two hands and two feet) since she was inviting people back to her home for danish sanwiches and coffee after church.
So far, so good.
I even offered to make a cake, and MIL thought it was great.
I decided to make a cake that one of my friends make, since SIL was making frozen cheesecake, and other people were bringing brownies and regular cream cake. It's a simple cake, really. It's a sponge cake with a vanilla custard cream on top, and with coconut. (I thought the coconut was to be sprinkled on top of the cake, but it was supposed to go IN the custard cream).
Anyways, I don't have the patience to make custard cream. After 10 minutes of "warm the custard cream very slowly while stirring" I turned the heat up to get it over with.
The cream was sugary (like when you still feel the bite of the sugar crystals) and it was not good. It tasted bland, and and the coconut taste totally disappeared in all the sugar.
I'm so sad the cake came out so bad. DH's mom is a gem and said she LOVED it (remember the burned stew I served her at my mountain cottage? Gah!) but she's the nicest person on earth. Seriously, she is!
I, on the other hand, need to start cooking things that I can.
Next time I'll make her a salad. I can't mess that up!
Or can I?
"I Love Cooking With Wine. Sometimes I Even Put It In The Food."
Other messages in this thread:
- 24408. Just a tip: Never EVER try a new recipe if you are making a cake for a funeral. As in ever! - EvaN - 7:41pm on 05/30/13 (10)
- Sometimes that's just the way it is...it's the thought that counts and your MIL is a gem :) [NT] - cheezz - 8:21pm on 05/30/13
- I absolutely love you MIL, I'm sure your cake was wonderful, sorry for your loss of your - barb_b - 11:00pm on 05/30/13
- Wonderful MIL - Earnie - 3:06am on 05/31/13
- I almost always try something new to me instead of T&T...sometime we pay for the thrill - MariaDNoCA - 4:37am on 05/31/13
- My MIL is a saint. I'm so lucky to have her in my life :-) [NT] - EvaN - 6:53am on 05/31/13
- Sorry you had problems w/ your cake, but would U mind posting the REC? I'd like 2 C it. TIA! And - wigs - 12:51pm on 05/31/13
- I can ;o) I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you think though!! [NT] - DawnNYS - 4:43pm on 05/31/13
- So sorry for you loss, and you have a lovely family. It's tough with cakes, so much can go wrong! - Heather_in_SF - 6:08pm on 05/31/13
- Eva, please take your MIL by the shoulders and give her a big kiss from ME! Then - MarilynFL - 4:55pm on 06/01/13
- I know I'm a lucky DIL - I just wish I could cook better too :-) [NT] - EvaN - 11:02am on 06/17/13