Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Vietnamese Chicken Lettuce Cups with Exotic Herbs
Joined: Jan 8, 2006
Posted to Thread #2782 at 10:58 pm on Jul 29, 2006
This is one of the most recent versions of Vietnamese Chicken Lettuce Cups I've tried and it's very good! They were perfect for dinner when it was really hot last week.
Recipe: Vietnamese Chicken Lettuce Cups with Exotic Herbs
Makes about 4 servings as a light entree or 6 as an appetizer or starter
- ╝ cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup matchstick-cut or thinly bias-cut carrots
- 1 cup matchstick-cut or thinly bias-cut daikon radish
- 1 cup thinly sliced white sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ╝ teaspoon chili paste or sambal oelek, as desired
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Lettuce & Herbs:
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, leaves separated and left whole
- 8 sprigs fresh mint or Thai mint
- 8 to 12 sprigs fresh cilantro, Vietnamese coriander (rau ram), or saw-leaf herb (long or sawtooth coriander or culantro) (see Kitchen Note)
- 8 to 12 sprigs Thai basil, shiso (perilla), or regular basil (see Kitchen Note)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
1. First, prepare the vegetables. Combine ╝ cup vinegar, carrots, daikon radish and sweet onion in a nonreactive bowl and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using, or up to overnight.
2. For the sauce, mix together vinegar, fish sauce, lime juice, chili paste and sugar, cover and refrigerate. Prepare the lettuce, mint, cilantro and basil, rinsing and patting dry with towels. Wrap in clean towels and refrigerate if not using right away.
3. To cook the chicken and finish the dish: Mince the chicken breast into very small (1/8-inch) pieces. Heat the oil in a large nonstick sautÚ pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, ginger and garlic, and stir-fry for about 3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Then add the fish sauce, soy sauce and green onion, and stir-fry for another minute.
4. Place the chicken in a medium bowl on a large platter. Put the sauce in a smaller bowl with a tiny spoon for serving. Drain the marinated vegetables and place on the platter; surround everything with the lettuce leaves and herbs, nicely arranged.
5. Guests take a lettuce leaf, spoon on some of the chicken, scatter with a bit of marinated vegetables, tuck in a few herb sprigs and drizzle with some of the sauce, then roll up and eat!
Rau ram and culantro are close relatives to cilantro, or fresh coriander. They're used extensively in Asia to season vegetable and meat dishes, as well as chutneys and sauces. Shiso is a cousin of basil and mint.
Other messages in this thread:
- 2782. ISO favorite recipes using cilantro [NT] - MiainMD - 3:29am on 07/27/06 (17)
- Here's one of my favorite -- Zesty Chicken marinade - MiainMD - 3:33am on 07/27/06
- Black Bean Patties With Cilantro and Lime; Carrot, Orange, and Radish Salad; - Meryl - 4:50am on 07/27/06
- The black beans with cilantro and lime recipe looks yummy -- - MiainMD - 12:17am on 07/28/06
- REC: Black Bean Patties With Cilantro And Lime... - Meryl - 1:04am on 07/28/06
- Epi's Grilled Korean Steaks with Spicy Cilantro Sauce - ValinFL - 9:07pm on 07/27/06
- Chimichurri sauce for grilled steaks etc....Will find rec: to post if you are interested. [NT] - barb_b - 12:44am on 07/28/06
- Mark Bittman has a pasta with cilantro & charred onion that's good. - AndreainDC - 2:38am on 07/28/06
- Cilantro Cumber Relish - sandra-in-london - 11:51am on 07/28/06
- Try adding it to tuna salad, chicken salad, potato salad, - Dawn_MO - 4:34pm on 07/28/06
- Here are a bunch of RECS: - Dawn_MO - 5:38pm on 07/28/06
- A pesto found at Chocolate & Zucchini site. - AngAk - 6:30pm on 07/28/06
- Rec: Martin Yan's Sweet and Spicy Peanut Noodles - DawnNYS - 7:00pm on 07/28/06
- Rec: Spicey Mexican Pork Stew - DawnNYS - 7:04pm on 07/28/06
- REC: Cilantro Almond Relish (for dipping grilled shrimp)..... - Barbara in VA - 3:01pm on 07/29/06
- Rec: Vietnamese Chicken Lettuce Cups with Exotic Herbs - Lin_in_Seattle - 10:58pm on 07/29/06
- Rec: Pineapple Avocado Salsa - Lin_in_Seattle - 11:04pm on 07/29/06
- Thank you! [NT] - MiainMD - 1:34am on 07/30/06