Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Best Peach Crumble
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #2864 at 4:29 pm on Aug 2, 2006
Best Peach Crumble
Cook’s Illustrated Jul/Aug 2006
3-1/2 lb. ripe but firm peaches (6-7 medium), peeled, pitted, cut in half then into 3/4” wedges
[if fresh peaches are unavailable, subsitute 5 10-oz. bags frozen peaches, thawed]
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/4 tsp. cornstarch
3-5 tsp. lemon juice [alter according to sweetness of peaches]
pinches: salt, cinnamon, nutmeg
1 cup flour
1/4 cup + 1 Tbl. sugar
1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
6 Tbl. butter cut into 6 pieces and very soft
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350 deg.
Toss peaches & sugar in large bowl; let stand 30 min., tossing often. Drain peaches in colander, reserving juice. Whisk 1/4 cup reserved juice, cornstarch, lmeon juice, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg in small bowl. Toss with peaches and put in an 8” square glass baking dish.
While peaches are macerating, combine flour, sugars (reserve 1 Tbl. of the granulated sugar) and salt in bowl of food processor. Drizzle vanilla over and toss well. Add butter and half of the nuts and process until it clumps together into large crumbly balls. Sprinkle rest of nuts over and pulse twice. Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet and spread in even layer. The largest pieces should be roughly 1/2” chunks. Bake until lightly browned and firm (18-22 min).
Using parchment (with topping chunks) as funnel, slide the topping over peaches, spreading evenly and packing down lightly. Sprinkle reserved tablespoon of sugar over. Increase oven temp to 375 and bake until well browned and fruit is bubbling around edges, 25-35 minutes. Cool on wire rack at least 15 min.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 2864. Cook's Illustrated Peach Crisp - AMAZING! Anyone else tried this?? - cheezz - 3:43am on 08/02/06 (12)
- Oh, it was the July/August issue... will be glad to post final recipe if anyone wants... - cheezz - 3:44am on 08/02/06
- OH, YES, please! :) TIA! [NT] - GayleMO - 4:58am on 08/02/06
- And Colorado peaches are in now! Yaaaaayyyy! [NT] - kpinky - 11:00am on 08/02/06
- REC: Best Peach Crumble - cheezz - 4:29pm on 08/02/06
- Thank you! ;) [NT] - GayleMO - 5:58pm on 08/02/06
- do like my SILdoes with my crabcakes and put it wrapped up in aluminum foil and... - rvb - 1:03pm on 08/02/06
- wouldn't work - his nose is too good :) [NT] - cheezz - 4:27pm on 08/02/06
- LOL rvb. [NT] - AngAk - 6:45pm on 08/02/06
- Yes, did the peach crisp earlier and it is TDF. - Richard in Cincy - 4:54pm on 08/02/06
- I bet using mixed berries would be awesome too. Baking the topping first is different. - AngAk - 6:14pm on 08/02/06
- No, actually this is the beauty of this recipe... - Richard in Cincy - 7:54pm on 08/02/06
- ooh... cherries! Now that would be great... I bet a little coconut in the topping would work too. [NT] - cheezz - 3:33am on 08/03/06