Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
! Here's the "new" starter at 12 and 24 hrs (pixs inside)..I'm thinking this is good-right?
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #25393 at 12:45 am on Dec 2, 2013
What I don't know for sure is how to tell if down the road the rye again goes south with "mold" if it even is mold - will that mean the AP one is infected too? Or is it one of those things where, if it looks good it is good?
As it turns out I did a bigger refresh/feeding so had enough for 2 teaspoons of the salvaged rye. So I made one as AP Starter: 1 t starter and 100g KA AP flour/100g water and the other rye same as a big feeding before: 1 t starter and 32g water/44g rye flour - both so far so good --- I think anyhoo given I'm a newbie to starters.
However, this was my first look at an AP version and it gives visual cues (though nearly no smell at all) while the rye does have a nice smell.
All the fancy happened with the AP so here are pictures, y'all can confirm if it looks on target. The first two photos are at 12 hrs, 4am - yes for some reason I was awake so took these pictures:
12 hrs - Lumps:
<a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank"><img src="http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/4ebay_bucket/Food/IMG_2403_zps9c1cbfeb.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMG_2403_zps9c1cbfeb.jpg"/></a>
12 hrs - Doubled in size since making it (pint? jar):
<a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank"><img src="http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/4ebay_bucket/Food/da68305a-c671-4411-90f6-91ffb2321ff9_zps792f369e.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo da68305a-c671-4411-90f6-91ffb2321ff9_zps792f369e.jpg"/></a>
24 hrs - Bubbles and jiggly appearance like it might collapse upon moving:
<a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank"><img src="http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/4ebay_bucket/Food/IMG_2405_zpsa3f70023.jpg" border="0" alt="KA AP Starter at 24 hrs photo IMG_2405_zpsa3f70023.jpg"/></a>
24 hrs - Risen further up to top of neck:
<a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank"><img src="http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/4ebay_bucket/Food/d73bb307-f516-4476-8474-165f94bcc474_zps95464a0e.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo d73bb307-f516-4476-8474-165f94bcc474_zps95464a0e.jpg"/></a>
Didn't take a before of the rye since it basically looks the same, but this may be activation bubbles on the side of this jelly jar (it's also hard to press into jar so may not be all bubbles, but hadn't noticed this before):
<a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank"><img src="http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/4ebay_bucket/Food/82f14eac-0651-42d6-91e5-84026b844b2e_zpsa9ed8089.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 82f14eac-0651-42d6-91e5-84026b844b2e_zpsa9ed8089.jpg"/></a>
The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way. - MTwain
Other messages in this thread:
- 25393. Bread People: What's up-my starter got the white "mold" again-am I doing this all wrong? What gives? - MariaDNoCA - 6:33pm on 11/30/13 (13)
- I must have missed previous threads on this. Is it a special type of starter? I don't think I could - CynUpstateNY - 6:58pm on 11/30/13
- I am not sure you have a problem.... - SallyBR - 6:59pm on 11/30/13
- Ok, but FYI 1 teaspoon will likely be all of the starter I have - is that ok? - MariaDNoCA - 7:01pm on 11/30/13
- I don't get it... you have JUST one teaspoon total???? - SallyBR - 9:30pm on 11/30/13
- my fault - cyalexa2 - 9:49pm on 11/30/13
- Ah, that explains it! - SallyBR - 9:57pm on 11/30/13
- Not at all...these are really great learning experiences: Thank you! - MariaDNoCA - 12:51am on 12/02/13
- ! Here's the "new" starter at 12 and 24 hrs (pixs inside)..I'm thinking this is good-right? - MariaDNoCA - 12:45am on 12/02/13
- looks good to me, let's see if others concur [NT] - cyalexa2 - 12:55am on 12/02/13
- I think it is too dry. I always use equal parts flour and water by weight. It stays batter-like - Joe - 9:07pm on 11/30/13
- I smooshed that way, it doens't bubble at all - too stiff (72%), but it smells alive. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 9:27pm on 11/30/13
- I think mine is back to normal - cyalexa2 - 9:54pm on 11/30/13
- I tried again, we'll see, but 99% sure we're all good - love living on the sourdough edge! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 1:00am on 12/02/13