Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #25811 at 4:52 am on Mar 17, 2014
Last time I covered the shaped dough with a loose spray oil coated plastic wrap. I forgot this time. This time I wanted to use a basket for the final rise, didn't have one so used a flour coated towel inside a small bowl - never again. It didn't help with the shape and when I flipped it onto the parchment I had the dry side up.
I don't know if it was the additional salt, or the 1 ounce more of flour I used, but it was much firmer to work with this time. I had no problem shaping and getting a tight surface, but it's still soft enough it spreads some.
I used a dutch oven to bake - mom's old cast iron one. I pre-heat the oven and dutch during the last 45 in rise, then picked up the parchment/dough, dropped it in the hot DOven, sprayed dough top with water and covered for the first 30 mins of baking. That seems to be doing the trick to get that oven spring.
The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way. - MTwain
Other messages in this thread:
- 25811. Weekend Breadcapades... Sourdough Bread round 2 w/pictures - MariaDNoCA - 7:33pm on 03/16/14 (15)
- Wow! That looks fantastic! Congratulations! And don't forget to send me a slice! [NT] - Meryl - 7:54pm on 03/16/14
- Just beautiful. Can't imagine a better round [NT] - AngAk1 - 8:01pm on 03/16/14
- looks great [NT] - cyalexa2 - 12:42am on 03/17/14
- It looks perfect. There's a trick you might try later on... - Joe - 3:52am on 03/17/14
- Yeah... - MariaDNoCA - 4:52am on 03/17/14
- Oh, man, I have never heard of that one--Great tip, will be trying soon. Thanks! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 7:31pm on 03/17/14
- Absolutely, two thumbs up! [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 6:38am on 03/17/14
- Oh how I'd love a slice! Great job Maria [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:51am on 03/17/14
- That, my dear, is deserving of a fabulous bowl of soup. Or perfect salad. Or great sauce. - MarilynFL - 11:44am on 03/17/14
- The salt was better, but next time I'm going to add a bit more - MariaDNoCA - 5:14pm on 03/17/14
- Wow! That's a good looking bread--congrats--you've finally conquered! [NT] - MoNJ - 12:30pm on 03/17/14
- I'm sooo excited for you! I have been watching your posts w/ questions re: breadmaking. I am so - barb_b - 12:43pm on 03/17/14
- Go for it - I was scared of yeast too!!!!! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 5:19pm on 03/17/14
- WOW! Maria, that looks fabulous! Great job. [NT] - Barbara in VA - 4:17pm on 03/17/14
- Chomp! I so love sourdough bread and I congratulate you for your success! [NT] - FloriSandy - 2:14am on 03/20/14