Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Trying again, lost the first list I typed (drat!)
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #25942 at 9:58 pm on Apr 22, 2014
Charleston SC - 82 Queen***** was one of the best meals. I had a stack of cheddar grits, catfish, a fried green tomato and a crab cake on top. DH had a very good jambalaya. Dessert was an almost too sweet peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream. Mmmm.
Myrtle Beach area - Chesapeake House**** for great grilled scallops, catfish, and seafood platter. Good family place, good food, and family prices.
Savannah GA - Moon River Brewery*** for casual. Good creole chicken/sausage on jambalaya rice and such. Fun place. Inside and outside seating areas.
Nashville TN - Jack's Bar-B-Q**** on Broadway in the heart of the music. Go up to the counter to order brisket, pork, ribs, chicken and sides. Delish creamed corn.
New Orleans LA - Palace Restaurant**** was a bit touristy but Rotis Chicken and Pecan catfish were good. Didn't have reservations for Commanders and were short on time so skipped there.
New Orleans LA - Jackson Brewery** had a good location looking at the water. Catfish Acadian was very good but the po-boy here not so. It was popular with the hurricane-toting frat boys.
San Antonio TX - Acenar***** for the best mole chicken enchiladas and seafood enchiladas.
San AntonioTX - Paesano's**** at the Riverwalk. Good lasagna and TDF stuffed shells.
Palestine TX - Switch**** for great Italian. Oink pizza and penne pasta called Meatballs Immaculata. It was recommended by the hotel and turned out a lovely surprise. One of our best meals was here.
Asheville NC - Nona Mia - very good pasta with Sunday gravy. Disappointing over-arugula'd Naples pizza.
Maurice's BBQ - my fav for on the road near Columbia SC. It was a rainy day so we did a drive-through order and got the Lexington-style yellow sauce. I liked it! How come they're not in California???
Vicksburg MS - Beechwood*** had really flavorful and tender steak. Crab cake only so-so and was very small compared to other places further east.
Rudy's***** in TX - as was suggested to me. Easy, casual, good! Ask for samples of anything. Thanks for the suggestion. The sides were prepacked. Next time, I'll bring a cooler and pick up food for lunches.
Tucson AZ - Beyond Bread****. I hadn't seen really good brown/seedy bread anywhere for three weeks. This was just what I needed with good soup and great sandwiches. Picked up cookies for the road home. Has local beer off to the side of the big bakery area.
(Can anyone tell me why all bread sides in the South are white bread?)
DONT'S: Chick-fil-a and Sonic Burger. Some like Cracker Barrel but we weren't wild about our one meal there.
Other messages in this thread:
- 25942. NFRC - home from our long road trip - Anna_X - 11:06pm on 04/21/14 (8)
- only I never got a muffaletter cuz I was so busy eating crabcakes and catfish. :( [NT] - Anna_X - 11:07pm on 04/21/14
- Right there with you! [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 4:26am on 04/22/14
- Wow...what a great list of food stops. Sometimes you just have to abandon the zipper. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:12pm on 04/22/14
- Any chance you've got a list of places you ate? I'd love to see it. Travel/eat vicariously! [NT] - Traca - 4:19pm on 04/22/14
- Trying again, lost the first list I typed (drat!) - Anna_X - 9:58pm on 04/22/14
- Yowza! Thanks. Terrific list. I confess to having cravings for Chic-fil-A but only if - Traca - 4:31am on 04/23/14
- What a great list. Thanks for posting. [NT] - elaine - 7:12am on 04/23/14
- thanks for posting. I'm reading this before breakfast---not a good idea. so hungry now. I'm - AngAk1 - 5:21pm on 04/23/14