Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Wonderful mezze: Yogurt with Beets from The New Persian Kitchen
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
Posted to Thread #26171 at 5:00 am on Jun 11, 2014
My cooking group covered The New Persian Kitchen and this was one of my favorite dishes. Serve with a flat bread -- pita, etc.
Yogurt with Beets
From The New Persian Kitchen
This luminous fuchsia yogurt is traditionally made with cooked beets but we'll save a step: the raw beets called for here soften and mellow in the acid of the yogurt, especially if allowed to marinate for an hour before serving. A grater attachment on your food processor will make this recipe even easier, and will save your hands from staining. The natural oils in your skin will awaken the flavor of the dried mint, so rub it between your palms as you add it to the yogurt.
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried mint
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small red beet, peeled and grated (about 1 cup)
2 cups thick Greek-style yogurt
Freshly ground black pepper
In a bowl, combine the garlic, 1 tablespoon of the mint, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the beets, and 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside to marinate for 5 minutes.
Fold in the yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Cover and let rest for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours, in the refrigerator. Transfer to a serving bowl. Spoon the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the yogurt and scatter the remaining 1 teaspoon mint over the top, and serve.
You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M
Other messages in this thread:
- 26171. Wonderful mezze: Yogurt with Beets from The New Persian Kitchen - Traca - 5:00am on 06/11/14 (7)
- Love her book! - SallyBR - 11:42am on 06/11/14
- Agreed. Louisa is fantastic! She just got back from Iran and I'm hoping to hear more about it. Will - Traca - 2:53pm on 06/11/14
- Follow up from Louisa on "What else should I try from your book?" and notes from her Iran trip. - Traca - 2:54am on 06/13/14
- "because their families probably take them for granted " So true. [NT] - orchid - 11:17am on 06/13/14
- Man, you suckered me in with this one. Just bought organic beets and Fage. [NT] - MarilynFL - 9:46pm on 06/12/14
- Woot! Can't wait to hear your thoughts. :) [NT] - Traca - 2:11am on 06/13/14
- I sent this to my Russian friend who is all about the beets. Mostly hoping she'll make it for me! ha [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 4:21pm on 06/13/14