Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I'm right there with you Amanda...
Joined: Dec 17, 2005
Posted to Thread #26649 at 9:04 pm on Sep 9, 2014
I love dishes and serving ware too! I don't get to entertain often, but when I do, I always go all out on my table design. I only allow myself to buy things that I will use in the near future (2-3 months) and that can stand on their own or go with something I already have (in other words, I won't have to buy a bunch of other stuff to be able to use it). Over the years, I have collected dinner plates in solid colors and I like to buy salad plates to change things up with them.
I also have a set of Blue Willow china that I got when I was first married. The grocery store was featuring it and I could buy a entire place setting for $2.99. I would get one every week or so until I finally got a whole set. For several years, those were the only dishes I had enough of to set a full table when I had guests.
If you find a 12-step program for this, let me know. If not, call me and we'll go to Homegoods together!
If anything can go well, it will!
Other messages in this thread:
- 26649. I MUST stop looking at dinner china. (This is related to food, right?) - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 6:06pm on 09/08/14 (34)
- aw, bless your heart...I just donated the last of my glass dishes from K-Mart (1981). I figured - MarilynFL - 6:53pm on 09/08/14
- LOL, Marilyn...I love simple, beautiful and sturdy dishes and have a dream of owning Heath - KarenNoCA - 7:26pm on 09/08/14
- My "every day dinnerware" when I was married was Johnson Bro. Now these many years - Janet in NC - 9:02pm on 09/08/14
- My everyday dishes, from many years ago, are from when I went to Grand Union and purchased the - barb_b - 9:56pm on 09/08/14
- Barb, fun memory... - Richard in Cincy - 2:20pm on 09/10/14
- Don't bother with REplacements--a pittance. Put it on Craig's - Charley - 9:59am on 09/09/14
- I'm a big fan or salad/dessert plates to mix/match with plain dinner plates too. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 2:48am on 09/10/14
- I also had Johnson Bros. Ironstone... - judy-mass - 10:15pm on 09/09/14
- It really can be agonizing. I have 3 sets. I am one person. What do I do with this? - Marg CDN2 - 10:11pm on 09/08/14
- Someone would love to have it. Put it on Craigs list with pictures or - KarenNoCA - 11:11pm on 09/08/14
- So much work, but so fun! Every once in a while, I will bring out the china for tea. BUT, - barb_b - 1:22pm on 09/09/14
- It's all about perspective, my friend. [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 9:35am on 09/09/14
- My first clue to stop the work came from both our sons, one Thanksgiving - KarenNoCA - 2:07pm on 09/09/14
- I have put our good china in the DW for many years--it has a gold - Charley - 8:05pm on 09/09/14
- Can't do it with my mom's china. It has platinum silver bands on it ...tried it once on one plate [IMAGE] - KarenNoCA - 11:03pm on 09/09/14
- I still have my Mikasa everyday ironware from 1983 wedding - Melissa Dallas - 1:11am on 09/09/14
- Our "family" china was obtained in laundry boxes. They included a dinner plate - MarilynFL - 12:40pm on 09/09/14
- Funny, the banner ad over this conversation is for Pfaltzgraf! I have NEVER shopped - Barbara in VA - 12:49pm on 09/09/14
- This makes me sad. I'd adopt all the unwanted china and crystal if I could. - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 6:25pm on 09/09/14
- I'll bet a Philly boutique brewery would buy your beer glasses. [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:56pm on 09/09/14
- I'm right there with you Amanda... - GeorgiaRose - 9:04pm on 09/09/14
- I worked for Mikasa corporate many yrs ago--re gold trim--our advice - MoNJ - 9:17pm on 09/09/14
- Thanks for this advice. I have Autumn by Lenox and always hand washed. Never use it anymore. [NT] - Curious1 - 9:32pm on 09/09/14
- My turkey platters are antique well and tree transferware... - judy-mass - 10:20pm on 09/09/14
- I just bought a transferware turkey platter for $25.00 at an antique store. - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 1:45pm on 09/16/14
- I love it too...I have several mis-matched pieces and one from Macy's I'd love to know the name of.. - MariaDNoCA - 2:45am on 09/10/14
- We should have a post that shows us what people are looking for so we can keep an eye peeled. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 5:02am on 09/10/14
- with photos, of course. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 5:03am on 09/10/14
- Maybe this will help. Shouldn't be too hard to trace your - Charley - 10:53am on 09/10/14
- Maria, if you take one or two of the dishes you want to identify to a good antique shop or dealer [LINK] - KarenNoCA - 3:01pm on 09/10/14
- No, keep looking. Life is too short to use the same plates every day... - Richard in Cincy - 2:12pm on 09/10/14
- My sil had eight children, and she has all sorts of entertaining items, - KarenNoCA - 3:07pm on 09/10/14