Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
My crazy world. An update.
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
Posted to Thread #27218 at 12:36 am on Jan 18, 2015
Hey guys. You all have been with me through thick and thin, and it's been a blast sharing some of the stuff I've been up to in an ever evolving career in food. Recently, things have taken an interesting turn and I thought I'd share it with you.
I have a chef friend who wrote a stunning cookbook, released earlier this year. Too early, in fact. (The subject is charcuterie and the book was released in March, languished over the summer and the publisher's major marketing push ran its course by the more appropriate fall timeline.) I offered to give him a hand promoting it. Later this month, he leaves for NYC and I've been busy trying to set up media interviews, etc. So far, he'll be on live radio (recorded to podcast) and live TV. He'll also be meeting with the editor of Food & Wine mag at the James Beard House and I have some other stuff in the works. After weeks of sleuthing, I just got contacts for the producers of all the major NYC-based morning TV shows (you know the ones!) and the pitch is out for Splendid Table. Fingers crossed! While I've dabbled at this level for one-off things (No Reservations, etc.) I've never done anything on this scale. Fortunately, I believe in this guy whole heartedly and have no doubt he'll have a network show eventually. This is the first big step in that direction.
At long last....what a relief to be on board with uber talented people that I believe in. I finally came to the conclusion that no matter how badly I need the money, unless you're working with people who are worthwhile, I can't fake the enthusiasm. Chefs are notoriously difficult to work with (the joke is, CHEF is an acronym for Create Havoc, Escape Fast.) This guy, on the other hand, is on the ball and just a dream. And at this stage in my career, I can appreciate what a gift that is.
Oof! The last couple years have been absolute hell on a personal level. Who knew this rainbow and pot of gold would be there in the end?
You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M
Other messages in this thread:
- 27218. My crazy world. An update. [LINK] - Traca - 12:36am on 01/18/15 (23)
- Fingers crossed for you! You definitely deserve maximum success! [NT] - SallyBR - 1:49am on 01/18/15
- How exciting! [NT] - cyalexa2 - 2:35am on 01/18/15
- wishing much success! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 2:22pm on 01/18/15
- I ate breakfast watching that video and now I am hungry again, Best of luck, he looks like a nice - KarenNoCA - 4:40pm on 01/18/15
- Thanks for that link - I learned new things - and now I want Asturias charcuteria! [NT] - LisainLA - 6:25pm on 01/18/15
- Oh I groaned and groaned. How fascinating for you to be involved in this endeavour that - Marg CDN2 - 9:30pm on 01/18/15
- I took a photo in 1982 of a small market stall in Nice, packed with - MarilynFL - 1:14pm on 01/19/15
- Exactly. So much of my international travels happened before I was into food. Gah! - Traca - 7:45pm on 01/19/15
- Good luck! And thanks again for the reference to Slanted Door. - MarilynFL - 1:06pm on 01/19/15
- Sigh. That Pierre Hermes lemon cream is heavenly.... [NT] - Traca - 1:41pm on 01/19/15
- super easy with a blender. Just check the temps. [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:27pm on 01/19/15
- Is this what you are speaking of? I have a tons of lemons and it looks great! [LINK] - LisainLA - 7:15pm on 01/19/15
- Yep. The only critical issue is to cool down the lemon/yolk mix to 140 degrees BEFORE - MarilynFL - 7:32pm on 01/19/15
- I haven't made this yet - can you really tell the difference between it and reg lemon curd? [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 8:58pm on 01/19/15
- I think so. This is lighter in color and texture..it also has more butter, so the mouth feel is - MarilynFL - 12:14pm on 01/20/15
- Beautifully shot! Wish he had gotten a book cover at the end. Fabulous! Good luck - MoNJ - 11:10pm on 01/19/15
- Mo, you nailed it! Link to the book here. Also he'll be on Mike Colameco's show on [LINK] - Traca - 12:31am on 01/20/15
- Awesome press!! So excited he's on Mike's show! I love him too!! - MoNJ - 10:55pm on 01/20/15
- I haven't seen the Ina show. Will have to look it up. The guy from Brooklyn Cured ran the - Traca - 1:36am on 01/21/15
- Check this link out--perhaps an opportunity in there somewhere... [NT] [LINK] - MoNJ - 9:12pm on 01/21/15
- Thank you. This is such a great event. Are you going? I've been a judge. Such a blast! [NT] - Traca - 10:18pm on 01/21/15
- And on the same subject, GREAT NEWS! This just in. - Traca - 7:09am on 01/22/15
- What a great story! Congratulations! [NT] - PatBastrop - 7:28pm on 01/29/15