Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Braised Winter Greens...
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #27225 at 5:05 pm on Jan 19, 2015
Braised Winter Greens
Yield: Serves 4
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup)
5 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 5 teaspoons)
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 lbs. kale or collard greens, ribs removed, leaves chopped into 3-inch pieces and rinsed (about 24 loosely packed cups)
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
2 - 3 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
Ground black pepper
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add half of greens and stir until beginning to wilt, about 1 minute. Add remaining greens, broth, water, and ¼ teaspoon salt; quickly cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender, 25 to 35 minutes for kale and 35 to 45 minutes for collards.
2. Remove lid and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid has evaporated (bottom of pot will be almost dry and greens will begin to sizzle), 8 to 12 minutes. Remove pot from heat; stir in 2 teaspoons lemon juice and remaining tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and remaining teaspoon lemon juice. Serve.
For best results, be sure your greens are fully cooked and tender in step 1 before moving on to step 2.
Your turkey wings would be a nice addition.
Other messages in this thread:
- 27225. Need side dish ideas for smoked turkey. No dairy. Thoughts? - Traca - 2:00pm on 01/19/15 (16)
- my favorite sides for smoked poultry - cyalexa2 - 2:05pm on 01/19/15
- All of the above and/or Collards or Mustard Greens---cornbread [NT] - charlie - 2:47pm on 01/19/15
- I've never made greens. He's from Texas. i bet he'd like that. Anyone got a recipe? [NT] - Traca - 3:04pm on 01/19/15
- I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds wonderful. REC: Caramelized Brussel Sprouts w/ Pancetta - wigs - 2:50pm on 01/19/15
- Traca, obviously u'll need 2 leave the sprinkling of Parmesan OFF yr friend's portion of the above - wigs - 2:53pm on 01/19/15
- Not suggesting you test it out on him, but parm can be OK - Charley - 4:54pm on 01/20/15
- What they said, but I found your comment on being fixated on dairy interesting. I've done the exact - Curious1 - 5:40pm on 01/19/15
- I can relate to this. We have a granddaughter who is 12. Four years ago, she announced she was - KarenNoCA - 6:37pm on 01/19/15
- I'd just do a selection of roasted veggies. Good, delish, easy and no dairy. - MariaDNoCA - 8:03pm on 01/19/15
- Rice and beans [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 9:08pm on 01/19/15
- Cranberry sauce! Stuffing! [NT] - cheezz - 4:55am on 01/20/15
- yes! [NT] - AngAk1 - 12:43am on 01/21/15
- This is a fun one, wild rice and pecan stuffed onions [LINK] - Heather_in_SF - 8:32pm on 01/20/15