Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Jan 13, 2012
Posted to Thread #27225 at 5:43 pm on Jan 19, 2015
I usually make this with kale (2 bunches from Sprouts) but have made it with collards. I also like to mix in about 10 ounces of spinach for the last 30 minutes or so. This recipe freezes well.
adapted from a recipe by Emeril Lagasse, serves 3-4
¼ pound raw bacon, chopped
3 cups julienne onions
2 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp cayenne
1 TB minced garlic
12 ounces beer
¼ cup cider vinegar
1 TB molasses
2-3 pounds greens, prep depending on the variety
In a large pot, cook the bacon until barely crisp.
Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions they are wilted and golden. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the salt, pepper cayenne and garlic.
Stir in the beer, vinegar, and molasses. Stir in the greens and bring to a boil. Turn and press the greens down until they are wilted.
Turn down the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the greens are tender (about hour and 30 minutes for mature collards).
Other messages in this thread:
- 27225. Need side dish ideas for smoked turkey. No dairy. Thoughts? - Traca - 2:00pm on 01/19/15 (16)
- my favorite sides for smoked poultry - cyalexa2 - 2:05pm on 01/19/15
- All of the above and/or Collards or Mustard Greens---cornbread [NT] - charlie - 2:47pm on 01/19/15
- I've never made greens. He's from Texas. i bet he'd like that. Anyone got a recipe? [NT] - Traca - 3:04pm on 01/19/15
- I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds wonderful. REC: Caramelized Brussel Sprouts w/ Pancetta - wigs - 2:50pm on 01/19/15
- Traca, obviously u'll need 2 leave the sprinkling of Parmesan OFF yr friend's portion of the above - wigs - 2:53pm on 01/19/15
- Not suggesting you test it out on him, but parm can be OK - Charley - 4:54pm on 01/20/15
- What they said, but I found your comment on being fixated on dairy interesting. I've done the exact - Curious1 - 5:40pm on 01/19/15
- I can relate to this. We have a granddaughter who is 12. Four years ago, she announced she was - KarenNoCA - 6:37pm on 01/19/15
- I'd just do a selection of roasted veggies. Good, delish, easy and no dairy. - MariaDNoCA - 8:03pm on 01/19/15
- Rice and beans [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 9:08pm on 01/19/15
- Cranberry sauce! Stuffing! [NT] - cheezz - 4:55am on 01/20/15
- yes! [NT] - AngAk1 - 12:43am on 01/21/15
- This is a fun one, wild rice and pecan stuffed onions [LINK] - Heather_in_SF - 8:32pm on 01/20/15