Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #27519 at 11:23 pm on Apr 8, 2015
I got this recipe from a friend over 35 years ago, Juanita told me this recipe had been in her family for a long time. Simple and delicious.
2 cups water
2 tsp salt
2 beef bullion cubes
2 lbs. beef stew meat
Cook until meat is very tender and easily shreds. I like to cook with the lid off the last hour, letting the liquid evaporate and getting some nice brown bits on the pan. Add a little water if the meat needs to cook longer,while getting that bit of brown really adds to the flavor.
Cool meat slightly, shred then add:
1 1/2 pints sour cream
3/4 cup chopped green onions
1 cup jack cheese, grated
Fry one dozen corn tortillas and roll up. I prefer smaller hand made white corn and wheat tortillas from LaTortilla Factory. They are thicker and the taste is excellent.
When all the torts are fried, unroll and fill with meat mixture, then reroll and place in baking dish, 350° for 20 minutes.
Dip in avocado dip:
1 large, ripe avocado, mashed
1 can green chili salsa
salt to taste
We serve with refried beans doctored up with bacon, onion, garlic, taco sauce, cheddar cheese in the mix and on top, then heat in the oven until bubbly and cheese melted, plus a simple green salad.
Sometimes I use our favorite salsa with the avocado, or make my own. Vary the dip to your liking. Today I used 1 Ortega chili pepper, chopped and some Hatch Green Chili Enchilada Sauce, garlic and onion powder and a bit of fresh lime juice and cumin.
~*Many things will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those*~
Other messages in this thread:
- 27519. RCP:Flautas - KarenNoCA - 11:23pm on 04/08/15 (15)
- Sounds like true comfort food, at least for me! [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 3:28am on 04/09/15
- Thank you, Karen. You have just reintroduced flautas into my life. - MarilynFL - 1:14pm on 04/09/15
- Please do, these are truly wonderful. I love the rich flavored beef with the creamy sour cream - KarenNoCA - 2:13pm on 04/09/15
- you just described a "perfect bite". anyone remember Barbra Streisand in the Mirror has 2 Faces? [NT] - AngAk1 - 7:24pm on 04/09/15
- Larry picked up Hormel's Italian-Style Roast Beef (pieces in brown gravy) - MarilynFL - 8:03pm on 04/09/15
- Marilyn, I use the La Tortilla Factory tortillas and I get them at - orchid - 8:47pm on 04/09/15
- Really? I'll have to ask...thanks, O! [NT] - MarilynFL - 9:00pm on 04/09/15
- Recipe:Mexican - Crispy Tortilla Flutes Stuffed with Shredded Chicken (Flautas de Pollo Deshebrado) [NT] [LINK] - Olga_D_Ont - 1:18pm on 05/08/15
- I have never heard of Flautas before. Somehow, I read flatulence. [NT] - barb_b - 9:32pm on 04/09/15
- ha! well, depending on whether they serve refried beans on the side.... [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:11pm on 04/10/15
- Marilyn, can I recommend a book for you? [LINK] - SallyBR - 4:22pm on 04/10/15
- Thanks...Just had our library order it. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:43pm on 04/11/15
- Barb, you have had flautas at Rosa Mexicano! - Sandra in New York - 2:08am on 04/11/15
- I vividly remember the guac; it was fascinating how they made it. The secret was not just the - barb_b - 11:58am on 04/11/15
- Anytime you like! [NT] - Sandra in New York - 9:38pm on 04/11/15