Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
answers to all of the above:
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #27743 at 7:41 pm on Jun 25, 2015
Tofu has no taste to me....it's really just something I pick up in a forced effort to expand my cooking repertoire--although I usually end up getting rid of it in a smoothie. In this case, the light dusting of cornstarch pre-fry helps hold the cube shape and provides just the tiniest of bite while the soy mixture and dual onion hit adds ALL the flavor. I can only imagine what a zinger it would be with fresh chilies and the whole cracked peppercorns >> so, all in all, quite happy with how this block of no-taste stuff turned out.
I used mostly Lite soy so it wasn't overly salty...and I only used half of the total liquids since the recipe called for 1.5 pounds of soy and I had slightly less than a pound to play with. Plus there is a sugar component that helps to even out things, along with the sweetness from the caramelized onions.
All that said, I'm glad I added the extra veggies and will probably toss in carrot coins tonight along with the mushrooms and sugar snaps because I love carrots in Asian dishes.
11 TBL of butter is for the full recipe (1.5 pounds of soy) but I only used 4 TBL and it was fine. I think my mushrooms soaked up a lot of that.
I'm also serving it tonight with a lemony kale salad because it was still too rich, even with the added veggies. I think that lemon kick will even things out.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 27743. *Black Pepper Tofu* from Yotam Ottolenghi in Food52 Genius Recipes > This works. [LINK] - MarilynFL - 12:48pm on 06/25/15 (5)
- Can't get into Tofu - colleenmomof2 - 3:25pm on 06/25/15
- Mar, I never thought you liked tofu! Would love your update. [NT] - barb_b - 3:48pm on 06/25/15
- omg. 11 tablespoons of butter? Just about ANY person can make something taste better. . . - mistral - 4:52pm on 06/25/15
- Lots of soy sauce too---Mar, did you find it salty? a bit tortured with all those different soys - AngAk1 - 6:57pm on 06/25/15
- answers to all of the above: - MarilynFL - 7:41pm on 06/25/15