Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|CathyZ from Kauai||
But they missed the Flaming Cabbage!
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #27770 at 5:04 pm on Jul 4, 2015
My Husband and I owned an old-fashioned ice cream soda shop and diner. One day we decided to entertain the staff of our bank whom we knew pretty well. We decided on late 50s and early 60s food- hors 'd. I did my research and came up with the star of the party in a Joy of Cooking: the Flaming Cabbage.
So I took a whole cabbage, took a slice out of the bottom to make it sit sturdy. I hollowed out the top just so a small can of sterno could fit flush in it. I set the whole thing on extra cabbage leaves and put some shredded carrot and parsley around the bottom for the display. Then I took 3 lengths of bamboo skewers (smallest like long toothpicks) and impaled the goodies on them: hunks of vienna sausages, cubes of Spam, sturdy cheese cubes, green olives, etc. The idea is that you get the sterno flaming and everyone can "grill" their own tidbits. Served with Saltine and Hi Ho Crackers. It was a huge hit. I should have taken photos.
Other messages in this thread:
- 27770. Jell-O Molds and Shrimp Trees: Insane Food of "The Astronaut Wives Club" [LINK] [IMAGE] - MariaDNoCA - 6:21am on 07/04/15 (6)
- Ha--those were the days. I'll admit I've made 2 or 3 Crown Jewel Molds and was pleased as punch - wigs - 2:34pm on 07/04/15
- My childrens care giver used to make them some kind of a Jello - Janet in NC - 4:05pm on 07/04/15
- But they missed the Flaming Cabbage! - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:04pm on 07/04/15
- Sounds like it would be fun NOW!! -- you know, that extra zing to partake of! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 8:55pm on 07/04/15
- Maybe they are saving that for the season finale! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 2:58am on 07/06/15
- I got a little queasy seeing those translucent shrimp. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:11pm on 07/09/15