Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
CathyZ, wanted to thank you for your pot roast *method* and comments. I made
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #28300 at 4:34 pm on Dec 18, 2015
up a big pot last weekend and because you mentioned how the veggies tend to get overcooked (but tasteful), I adapted this comment. After two hours in the oven, I pulled out the meat, and strained everything else through a chinois, pressing down on the veggies to get all their flavor. Then I sautéed fresh onions, carrots and parsnips in some butter, deglazed with a bit more red wine, then added back the enriched earlier sauce, added some sautéed portabellas and put the roast back into the pot for another hour in the oven.
Holy Cow [not to take the main entree in vain, but] wow, that dish is a winner. We had it two nights in a row and I've just portioned off 4 more containers for the freezer.
All in all, I used:
3.5 pound pot roast (boneless, but very veiny with fat)
1 lb organic carrots
1 lb parsnips
4 large Spanish onions
1 lb portabello mushrooms
1 box organic beef broth
1/3 bottle of red wine
butter & oil for sautéing
4 fresh sprigs of rosemary
a bunch of sprigs of fresh thyme
A couple squeezes of tomato paste [ala tube]
lots of black pepper
Thickened at the end with butter/flour paste. One day I will remember the french term for that method.
Served with mashed potatoes, creamed corn, lemony crushed kale greens topped with broccoli salad. Oh, and thick slabs of grilled Tuscan bread.
THANKS...and another THANKS for your comments.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 28300. CathyZ, wanted to thank you for your pot roast *method* and comments. I made [LINK] - MarilynFL - 4:34pm on 12/18/15 (13)
- Cheryl's Broccoli Salad [from People mag, Holiday food issue] - MarilynFL - 5:13pm on 12/18/15
- glancing over this I saw "People Hag". oh this head cold! [NT] - AngAk1 - 6:55pm on 12/18/15
- Good job Marilyn! So happy you had such a wonderful success. - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:25pm on 12/18/15
- make this on this date next year and you can invite me over!! woohoo [NT] - AngAk1 - 6:55pm on 12/18/15
- You mean you are coming here? [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 9:29pm on 12/18/15
- oh no, sorry Cathy. for Mar--we bought a small house in FL and close next week. snowbirds! [NT] - AngAk1 - 10:21pm on 12/18/15
- Oh, welcome to Florida Ang! Snowbird is the best way to go. You'll - orchid - 10:42pm on 12/18/15
- Beurre Manié ? maybe definition enclosed - emtd - 11:49pm on 12/18/15
- should read: Beurre Manié, maybe? Definition enclosed :) [NT] - emtd - 11:50pm on 12/18/15
- Thanks, emtd! [NT] - MarilynFL - 10:46pm on 12/19/15
- Thanks Marilyn, I knew I had just read it somewhere. I wanted to make a pot roast this week. - Janet in NC - 5:49pm on 01/26/16