Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Ohio Ham Loaf
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #28429 at 5:03 pm on Jan 31, 2016
2 lbs. ground ham
1 lb. ground pork
1 1/2 cups seeded rye bread crumbs
1 small chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, smashed and minced
3 eggs, well beaten
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. dry mustard
2 tbsp. prepared mustard
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup milk, more if needed
For the glaze:
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. dry mustard
In a large bowl, combine ham, pork, bread crumbs, and onion.
Add allspice, cloves, pepper, dry mustard, prepared mustard and parsley to eggs and mix well with a fork. Add egg mixture and milk to meat mixture and continue mixing with hands until well combined.
Mixture should be moist and very soft. If too dry, add up to ¨ö cup of extra milk.
Form into one large loaf (or two smaller ones). One large loaf should fit perfectly into a 9-by-13-inch rectangular pan.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine glaze ingredients and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Mixture will be thin.
Pour about one-third of glaze over ham loaf. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and pour remaining glaze over loaf, basting frequently until glaze begins to get thick and sticky and ham loaf is browned and cooked through completely, about 30 minutes longer for a large loaf.
Makes six to eight servings.
Other messages in this thread:
- Link doesn't work for me...but congrats on the furniture! What a score :) [NT] - cheezz - 4:39am on 01/31/16
- Doesn't work for me either.... - MariaDNoCA - 4:57am on 01/31/16
- The photo is posted on Facebook. I can't get into Photobucket for some reason. [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 5:22am on 01/31/16
- Richard, if you want to make the picture visible. change the privacy setting on FB to Global -- - Traca - 1:45pm on 01/31/16
- OK, try it again. I changed the setting to public. [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 4:36pm on 01/31/16
- Still can't see it :( [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 12:00am on 02/01/16
- Is it a shared source? I wonder if the person who originally shared it, didn't make it public. [NT] - Traca - 3:00pm on 02/01/16
- The person is me. I took the picture, posted it, & changed the settings to public. Still can't see? [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 9:39pm on 02/02/16
- NICE!!! Wow!! Oh, and the picture now shows up on the postings page too :) [NT] - cheezz - 6:19am on 02/03/16
- What a great find! How fun that must have been for you. Also very nice - KarenNoCA - 3:42pm on 01/31/16
- Wow! I want ham loaf with horseradish sauce! [NT] - Joe - 4:14pm on 01/31/16
- I made your and Julia's ham stuffed cabbage Friday, almost made ham loaf. Do you have a fave recipe? [NT] - Curious1 - 4:55pm on 01/31/16
- I don't, in fact I don't think I've ever had it. It just sounded so good. [NT] - Joe - 5:08pm on 01/31/16
- Joe, Ham Loaf is a very popular dish here in Ohio... - Richard in Cincy - 4:57pm on 01/31/16
- Ohio Ham Loaf - Richard in Cincy - 5:03pm on 01/31/16
- Huh. Never used rye breadcrumbs in ham loaf. Will certainly try it. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:08pm on 01/31/16
- Thanks! I can't wait to try this after Easter, when I have lots of leftovers. [NT] - Joe - 5:10pm on 01/31/16
- I second the thank you. [NT] - Curious1 - 8:26pm on 01/31/16
- And I want those food prices! Gorgeous furniture, Richard. Glad you finally found what you wanted. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:55pm on 01/31/16
- What fun...like finding a secret stash. Can't see photo (Sunday noon), pity. I used - MarilynFL - 5:24pm on 01/31/16
- Ethan Allen :) [NT] - AngAk1 - 1:55am on 02/01/16
- I remember buying chuck roast, 3 lbs. for $1. right after I got married. Of course, my husband was - Curious1 - 8:45pm on 01/31/16
- Was that a sloppy Jane? No offense cheezz :) [NT] - AngAk1 - 1:57am on 02/01/16
- Oh, so you've seen my kitchen after I've cooked?! heehee [NT] - cheezz - 6:49am on 02/01/16
- This is a fancied up version of a Maid-Rite. - Anna_X - 5:55pm on 02/01/16
- I remember them as tasty. Would you believe growing up in MO, I never had a maid-rite? [NT] - Curious1 - 7:31pm on 02/02/16
- Wow, what a terrific find--furniture & recipes & newspapers! Will look at yr pic when I get home. [NT] - wigs - 8:43pm on 03/04/16