Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
--Read the ingredients. Many corn tortillas now are made with a LOT of extras. . .
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Posted to Thread #28495 at 5:14 pm on Feb 23, 2016
I like the ones that just list corn, lime (turns the corn into "masa" corn), water.
The additives are things like cellulose, all sorts of preservatives and amylase. Funny, that amylase; If I remember correctly, amylase is an enzyme in saliva that helps turn starches into sugars (classic experiment is to chew something starchy for a couple of minutes and you can start to taste the sugar).
I say, why not just use good corn instead of that commodity corn everyone uses 'cuz it is cheap and readily available? The problem is the commodity corn is cheap and readily available and the "good corn" is not. . .
A Proud "Master Food Preserver San Bernardino County" since 1996!
Other messages in this thread:
- 28495. Why were my *Hot Bread Bakery* corn tortillas so boring? [LINK] - MarilynFL - 1:27pm on 02/22/16 (14)
- I think the kicker is fresh ground masa, not reconstituted. My favorite - Michael in Phoenix - 3:37pm on 02/22/16
- Their recipe didn't call for lard or baking powder...just the masa, water & salt. - MarilynFL - 5:23pm on 02/22/16
- I understand. Corn tortillas do not contain baking powder or lard. Sorry if... - Michael in Phoenix - 6:42pm on 02/22/16
- I agree with Michael . . . - mistral - 8:04pm on 02/22/16
- I think it is the variety of super sweet corn being grown now. - Melissa Dallas - 8:49pm on 02/22/16
- Trader Joe's carries a good hand made corn tortilla which are a little thicker than the super market - KarenNoCA - 12:07am on 02/23/16
- --Read the ingredients. Many corn tortillas now are made with a LOT of extras. . . - mistral - 5:14pm on 02/23/16
- An article from this Saturday section of LA Times about this very topic - the maize is the thing! [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 1:42am on 02/23/16
- Thank you Lisa, very interesting. [NT] - Curious1 - 3:17am on 02/23/16
- Cool! This is the article I remember!! I am going to put this info about Taco Maria's . . . - mistral - 5:18pm on 02/23/16
- DD lived in San Antonio for a while and we went to breakfast where the corn tortillas - Charley - 3:53pm on 02/23/16
- All excellent and informative answers. Thanks. I was kindof hoping I forgot a key step that would - MarilynFL - 11:41am on 02/24/16
- Also know that even though we have several tortillerias here in Phoenix, they... - Michael in Phoenix - 4:32pm on 02/24/16
- Here's a link to a video about my favorite tortilleria here in the Valley. [NT] [LINK] - Michael in Phoenix - 4:36pm on 02/24/16