Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Chocolate Almond Quick Bread - layered and made with almond paste. Man, this was good!
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
Posted to Thread #28793 at 8:59 pm on Jun 18, 2016
My friend brought fresh strawberries and we served it with them.
CHOCOLATE AND ALMOND QUICK BREAD
This easy quick bread is perfect for breakfast or brunch. Almond Paste and dark cocoa are combined to create a richly flavored filling that is layered in a luscious quick bread.
25 minutes to assemble
50-55 minutes to bake
Total time: 75-80 minutes
For Chocolate-Almond Filling:
1-7 oz box of Odense Almond Paste, grated
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For Quick Bread:
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Half & Half
Optional: confectioner’s sugar
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour (or spray with bakers spray) a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan.
In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse Almond Paste, sugar, cocoa powder and cinnamon until texture of small crumbs.
In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugar until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each. Mix in extract. Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture, alternately with Half & Half, until just combined.
Spoon 1/4 batter (about 3/4 cup) into pan and spread with a slightly wet spatula*. Sprinkle with 1/3 of chocolate-almond filling (2/3 cup and 1 tablespoon). Repeat chocolate-almond layer two more times, topping with final layer of batter. Rap pan on counter one or two times to ensure there are no air bubbles.
Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Cover bread with a paper towel. Invert onto wire rack and turn right side up. Serve slightly warm or completely cooled. Just before serving dust with confectioner’s sugar, if desired.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
TEST KITCHEN TIP
Dipping a metal spatula into water and shaking any excess off, helps spread this batter more easily. The batter tends to stick to a dry spatula, which can lift the filling, while spreading.
You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M
Other messages in this thread:
- 28793. Chocolate Almond Quick Bread - layered and made with almond paste. Man, this was good! [LINK] - Traca - 8:59pm on 06/18/16 (16)
- Couldn't resist. I made it today and it is very good. [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 1:35am on 06/20/16
- YAY! Pretty too, eh? [NT] - Traca - 4:47am on 06/20/16
- i'll have to remember the half-and-half in the pound cake batter-it makes a really nice crunchy top. [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 1:43pm on 06/20/16
- Good observation! The top was definitely a bit crunchy. Not my fave. I wrapped it in - Traca - 5:56am on 06/21/16
- Thanks Traca! This sounds perfect for my next brunch! Or for my christmas baskets [NT] - barb_b - 10:46am on 06/20/16
- I have a can of almond paste, not the harder tube-shaped stuff. Will that work? What do - MarilynFL - 10:36am on 06/21/16
- I made it with a box of Solo, which is soft like their canned. Worked great. [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 2:13pm on 06/21/16
- Be VERY sparing on your layers of batter. It barely covers the load of crumbs [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 2:47pm on 06/21/16
- Thanks...will have to wait until next week after weigh-in. Then I can binge on chocolate/almond. [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:58pm on 06/21/16
- Weight Watchers? The almond is so strong that it doesn't taste very chocolate to me [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 11:25pm on 06/21/16
- No...I succeeded/failed at WW six times so I'm not doing that again. I'm doing - MarilynFL - 10:29am on 06/22/16
- Melissa or anyone else who can help me. I have never used Almond [LINK] - orchid - 9:30pm on 06/22/16
- Orchid, it is not the same and I think the prepared filling might be too "wet" - Melissa Dallas - 11:23pm on 06/22/16
- Thanks Melissa, I pretty much thought so. I'll look for the right thing. [NT] - orchid - 3:35pm on 06/23/16
- Orchid, it looks like this. [NT] [LINK] - Traca - 5:26pm on 06/23/16
- Thanks Traca, and this caught my eye.... - orchid - 6:43pm on 06/23/16