Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
My Mom's Baked Beans-- Recipe==>
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Posted to Thread #28808 at 2:09 pm on Jun 22, 2016
Mom's Baked Beans (from Elaine Wiggins)
Use a deep 4-quart casserole dish that has been sprayed w/ PAM.
Van Kamp's Pork & Beans--Use a 3lb 5oz can + a 1lb 15oz can. Drain off some of the juice, but reserve it in case you need to add any back in later.
Half a pound of bacon that has been partially fried & cut into pieces--fry bacon about half way or just enough to get rid of some of the fat. Bacon strips should still be pretty raw-looking. They will crisp up in the oven.
1 12-oz bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
1 pound box light brown sugar
Stir together beans, chili sauce & brown sugar. Put into casserole dish. Cover top with partially cooked bacon pieces. Bake in a preheated 300 F (yes, three hundred degrees) for 3 to 3-1/2 hours uncovered. If beans start looking too thick halfway through baking time, add some of the reserved Van Kamp's pork & bean juice.
PS: Mother never put onion in her baked beans, but I don't see why you couldn't add some for a bit of additional flavor.
PPS: If anyone needs to serve 75 people, I have the amounts to serve that large a large crowd. Just let me know & I will post!
Other messages in this thread:
- 28808. Got a picnic coming up. What are your favorite picnic dishes? (Non-grilled item) [NT] - Traca - 3:03pm on 06/21/16 (31)
- I recently posted this Couscous Salad that was seriously good and [LINK] - orchid - 3:23pm on 06/21/16
- Forgot to say that I don't have a grill anymore so I cooked the - orchid - 3:25pm on 06/21/16
- I love Bobby Flay recipes. He has a potato salad in his first book that is really good too. Will be - Traca - 5:05pm on 06/21/16
- Tracy, which potato salad is that? Is it his Southwestern Potato Salad? [NT] - Curious1 - 11:23pm on 06/25/16
- Or the Grilled Tuscan Vegetables that you liked would be good. [NT] [LINK] - orchid - 3:32pm on 06/21/16
- Here is a tried and true and everyone loves it. Texas Party Spaghetti - KarenNoCA - 5:04pm on 06/21/16
- Traca, Ina Garten Chicken Caesar Club Sandwich always a hit...... [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 6:05pm on 06/21/16
- This was a hit at my recent BBQ; rec: Black Rice Salad with Mango and Peanuts [LINK] - barb_b - 8:20pm on 06/21/16
- Enjoyed Melissa's rec: Cranberry walnut chick pea salad [LINK] - barb_b - 8:25pm on 06/21/16
- Love Joannie's Rec: Shrimp, avocado and Orzo Salad [LINK] - barb_b - 8:50pm on 06/21/16
- Muffaletta is the favorite from my house - CathyZ from Kauai - 9:50pm on 06/21/16
- typo I meant Muffuletta [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 9:51pm on 06/21/16
- REC: Pan Bagnat - judy-mass - 10:40pm on 06/21/16
- This could be fun! Julie's rec: Borinquen Jibarito Sandwich [NT] [LINK] - barb_b - 10:44am on 06/22/16
- This is always a hit at our home: Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts [NT] [LINK] - barb_b - 10:50am on 06/22/16
- For additional ideas, Joe has posted a few Picnic menus w/ recipes in the menu section. [NT] - barb_b - 10:56am on 06/22/16
- One of my favorites Pat's rec: Curried Chicken Salad on Mini Croissant [NT] [LINK] - barb_b - 11:14am on 06/22/16
- Deviled Eggs; Mom's Baked Beans; or go to the link to see any of the RECs inside==> [LINK] - wigs - 1:48pm on 06/22/16
- My Mom's Baked Beans-- Recipe==> - wigs - 2:09pm on 06/22/16
- REC: Marinated Vegetable Salad with Dijon Dressing (T&T) [LINK] - wigs - 2:12pm on 06/22/16
- REC: Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad with Cranberries and Pistachios - wigs - 2:15pm on 06/22/16
- Broccoli Salad - wigs - 3:01pm on 06/22/16
- Layered salad - 6/16 reduced fat version [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 10:24am on 06/24/16
- Greg's Birthday Coconut Carrot Cake Bars - colleenmomof2 - 10:38am on 06/24/16
- Yes! [NT] - AngAk1 - 7:12am on 06/25/16
- And I add a layer of small shell pasta. Highly recommend [NT] - AngAk1 - 7:13am on 06/25/16
- Pasta shells - what a great idea! - colleenmomof2 - 12:26pm on 06/25/16
- These brick pressed picnic sandwiches are always a great choice. [LINK] - orchid - 5:33pm on 06/24/16
- This Chopped Vegetable Salad with Feta and Olives was a hit at a recent outdoor event. [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 6:10pm on 06/28/16
- Spot on! Thanks everyone. Now, choosing.... :) [NT] - Traca - 5:17pm on 07/05/16