Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Phoenix||
Another vote for the Mexican Street Corn Salad. Made some last night and it's gone!
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #28834 at 9:08 pm on Jul 2, 2016
I buttered and grilled 4 cobs of corn over charcoal until roasted, with flecks of brown and black. Cut the corn away from the cob as soon as it was cool enough to handle.
I used Tejin, which is a chile/lime/salt mixture popular with street vendors in place of the chili powder. I backed off on the kosher salt so it didn't get too salty. I did add some red pepper flakes.
Next time I will leave the jalapeno seeds in the mix.
I used cotija cheese, and I highly recommend doing so, if you have it in your area. The good stuff crumbles by hand. It is salty like parmesan or feta, but it has a whole milk taste that reminds me of cream.
GOOD RECIPE! Can't wait to make it for my family in San Diego.
Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker
Other messages in this thread:
- 28834. Another vote for the Mexican Street Corn Salad. Made some last night and it's gone! - Michael in Phoenix - 9:08pm on 07/02/16 (16)
- Iam trying so hard to understand this recipe... Warm corn w. cheese? Served hot? [NT] - barb_b - 10:42pm on 07/02/16
- I find it works really well at room temperature. [NT] - judy-mass - 12:38am on 07/03/16
- It's even delicious chilled. Salty, sweet, lime citrus with cheese and a little mayo for binder. [LINK] - Michael in Phoenix - 2:40am on 07/03/16
- We first had it in Denver at a cute family Latino grill on Federal Ave. It was during the green - Charley - 10:56am on 07/03/16
- It's a riff on Elotes, which are sold from carts all over here - Melissa Dallas - 2:40pm on 07/03/16
- Elote is spanish for "corn cob". It is a little different here in Phoenix. Vendor carts have... - Michael in Phoenix - 4:05pm on 07/03/16
- We're talking about the same thing, just served differently. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 8:30pm on 07/03/16
- I made it for a crowd yesterday too - BIG hit! - deb-in-MI - 11:08am on 07/03/16
- YAY! So glad you liked it. This dish will be on regular rotation for me too! [NT] - Traca - 6:20pm on 07/03/16
- Michael, I noticed Trader Joe's has a chilie/lime blend that has good reviews - KarenNoCA - 5:29pm on 07/04/16
- My son loves it on watermelon. I'm a purist though. Watermelon needs no embellisment. - Michael in Phoenix - 5:51am on 07/05/16
- The watermelon I've gotten has no taste. Even adding mint, lime juice & simple syrup, all I taste - MarilynFL - 10:48am on 07/05/16
- Watermelons just came into season at our Farmer's Markets, however they are all the ones with seeds - KarenNoCA - 2:38pm on 07/05/16
- K, do you feel like you're eating watery pale red cubes of...nothingness? [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:24pm on 07/05/16
- Funny---I've been looking for the melons with seeds--I don't think that the seedless have as much... - charlie - 5:01pm on 07/05/16
- I LOVE the seedless and have had really delicious ones--to my taste. lol [NT] - Charley - 7:45pm on 07/05/16