Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I've got a couple questions: if you're concerned about whipped cream icing
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #28878 at 12:57 pm on Jul 22, 2016
is that because of the heat? Because both swiss/Italian meringues have a boatload of butter in them.
I posted a version of whipped cream icing that held up for FOUR days. Four hours at an event and then the rest of the time in the refrigerator. Basically, you augment all the things that help it stay viable (more fat (melted butter), powdered sugar (with cornstarch), whipped with less air). Piped beautifully.
Or...make a cooked flour-based torte icing, but use butter rather than Crisco. That will beat up very light and fluffy. Also pipes well.
Are the strawberries going INTO the cake batter...or will they be in the icing between the cake layers?
I'm fond of the 1940's eggless oil-based cocoa cake for moistness. I have other favorites with more intensive chocolate flavoring, but not sure that's right for a 5-year old.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 28878. ISO good kid friendly choco BDay cake fav and help with icing (more)... - MariaDNoCA - 9:32pm on 07/21/16 (18)
- Not fancy - but moist, quick and I think it's good. This is a family style cake. - emtd - 10:56pm on 07/21/16
- Not what you're looking for, but an idea. (Ironically, you helped me find the recipe!) Rec: [LINK] - barb_b - 11:24pm on 07/21/16
- And this sounds like fun for the twins, not for b-day cake, but for something to consider during the [LINK] - barb_b - 11:27pm on 07/21/16
- Im so glad you are having so much fun with the twins! Hope the garden is surviving this heat! [NT] - barb_b - 11:58pm on 07/21/16
- Lots of plants fried, but some are coming back! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 6:29pm on 07/22/16
- For a chocolate cake I don't think you can beat the Texas Sheet cake recipe. Make it in a 9X13 pan - Charley - 11:03am on 07/22/16
- Kids specifically want 2 (twin) layer cakes; 1 as Polar Express 1 as Elsa from Frozen [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 6:25pm on 07/22/16
- You can make it as a layer cake. It is just such a delicious chocolate cake--and easy. nt [NT] - Charley - 10:48am on 07/23/16
- I've got a couple questions: if you're concerned about whipped cream icing - MarilynFL - 12:57pm on 07/22/16
- Berries sliced between layers; no room in fridge for cake so needs to be able to sit out.... - MariaDNoCA - 6:23pm on 07/22/16
- Have you ever heard of Rich's Bettercreme? It is a shelf-stable product that might be [LINK] - LisainLA - 11:44pm on 07/22/16
- I agree with you about the eggless chocolate cakes, I 've got a great one from the red Betty Crocker - LisainLA - 11:39pm on 07/22/16
- I like the idea of the Texas Sheet Cake too and you can jazz it up - KarenNoCA - 1:49pm on 07/22/16
- Here is another thread from our board about this topic for your icing question: [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 11:49pm on 07/22/16
- Here is a chocolate chiffon cake recipe Pat shared with me that I've also had really good luck with. [LINK] - LisainLA - 11:55pm on 07/22/16
- I have made so many birthday cakes in all shapes, forms, etc. I always use the John Thorne cake - elaine - 3:56am on 07/25/16
- I've also used a similar recipe many Xs for DS b-day cakes, it is very moist, sturdy & kid friendly [NT] - LisainLA - 4:14am on 07/26/16
- What about cheezz's Deep Dark Chocolate Cake? It is delicious! [LINK] - wigs - 5:00pm on 07/25/16