Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Roasted tomato soup--really good. I think I'd add a little celery too--can't remember if
Joined: Aug 15, 2007
Posted to Thread #28971 at 8:14 pm on Aug 29, 2016
I did when I made it.
Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup
recipe adapted from Gourmet Magazine
1 1/2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes 5 tablespoons olive oil 2 minced garlic cloves 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled 1/4 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/2 cup finely chopped onion 1 cup chicken broth 1/4 cup dry red wine 3/4 cup heavy cream 1/2 cup tomato paste Sugar to taste, if needed 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Halve tomatoes lengthwise and lay them cut sides down in a jelly-roll pan. Brush generously with 3 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with garlic, oregano, basil, and pepper. Roast tomatoes until their edges are charred, about 15 to 20. Scrape tomatoes, oil, and herbs from pan into food processor. Process until not quite smooth (leaving small chunks and charred black specks).
In a saucepan cook onion in remaining 2 tablespoons oil until translucent. Whisk in roasted tomato puree, broth, and wine. Then whisk tomato paste. Heat the cream and whisk in to the tomato mixture. Taste and add sugar if necessary. Stir in optional Parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste and bring soup to a simmer.
Other messages in this thread:
- 28971. I'm picking tomatoes daily and have been looking for a good fresh tomato soup recipe. - CynUpstateNY - 7:00pm on 08/29/16 (11)
- Roasted tomato soup--really good. I think I'd add a little celery too--can't remember if - Charley - 8:14pm on 08/29/16
- We love this PW recipe. It's really delicious and maybe you can [LINK] - orchid - 10:37pm on 08/29/16
- Rec: Tomato Chowder - rhoward2va - 12:18pm on 08/30/16
- This from Cafe Sucre is excellent and uses 8 cups of tomatoes, I made it last week [LINK] - KarenNoCA - 2:07pm on 08/30/16
- Emeril Lagasse Food Network - Quick Summer Tomato Soup [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 2:58pm on 08/30/16
- Thanks so much! I have 3 plants, been gone almost 8 weeks and they're still loaded! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 9:38pm on 08/30/16
- REC: Mexican Tomato Lime Soup - Junebug - 2:41am on 09/01/16
- man, does this sound good! It's ringing all my bells. Thanks, June [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:38am on 09/01/16
- Junebug, the recipe you posted must be the orignal recipe? - KarenNoCA - 3:11pm on 09/01/16
- Yes, that was the original recipe. I tweaked to conform to the ingredients I had available. - Junebug - 6:00am on 09/06/16
- You can add a splash of salsa to this also. And chicken chunks--instead of chips you - Charley - 6:19pm on 09/01/16