Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Speaking of equipment, I ordered 7x7 inch square pan for Theo's caramels
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29015 at 2:10 pm on Sep 15, 2016
I had reduced their recipe to 2 Cups of heavy cream to use a 3.5 quart pan and not overflow. Lining the pan with no-stick aluminum foil is a god-sent suggestion.
I made this recipe before but used 8x8 inch pan. This new one ends up the perfect thickness for me. Prepared three batches while in NC and feel much more confident about caramel now. Still wish I could figure out how to get the caramel to stick to apples.
Oh, I made a batch of the reduced cider version; it's good if a little tangy. That might be the citric acid you add. I didn't bother coating these in chocolate as tests were to understand where I screwed up my other caramel attempts.
Not being in DFH (Damn Florida Humidity) helped a lot!
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29015. okay, what size bundt pan do I use for Alton Brown's Apple Cake? See Sally's link [LINK] - MarilynFL - 1:06pm on 09/15/16 (13)
- It indicates a 10 cup pan at the bottom of Alton's list of ingredients from FN site>>> [LINK] - LisainLA - 1:42pm on 09/15/16
- Thank you! I started to check that link, but the FN website is really wonky on IE here at work. All - MarilynFL - 2:03pm on 09/15/16
- Sorry, haven't seen this.... - SallyBR - 11:22am on 09/16/16
- Speaking of equipment, I ordered 7x7 inch square pan for Theo's caramels - MarilynFL - 2:10pm on 09/15/16
- Aha we were wondering what that flavor was---reduced apple cider!! ... - charlie - 4:12pm on 09/15/16
- Here's is theo's basic caramel recipe (reduced to use 2 cups of heavy cream) [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 4:49pm on 09/15/16
- Here is theo's Apple Cider Caramel. Again, I reduced my quantity so it all fit in 3.5 QT pot. [LINK] - MarilynFL - 4:53pm on 09/15/16
- Marilyn, have a look at this blog.....Ella Claire Inspired - Caramel apple tips......... [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 4:26pm on 09/15/16
- Thanks Gay! I brought back local unwaxed McIntosh and HUGE Honeycrisp from NC. - MarilynFL - 5:59pm on 09/15/16
- Very welcome, Marilyn.....hope the tips are helpful....... [NT] - GayR - 1:55am on 09/16/16
- More questions: Ella Claire's recipe stops the caramel at 235 degrees. Doesn't that seem low? - MarilynFL - 11:07am on 09/16/16
- Maybe this is helpful .... exploratorium.edu [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 12:03pm on 09/16/16
- Good info. The data on this page makes it sound like her caramel will be runny at 235. - MarilynFL - 2:32pm on 09/16/16