Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here is theo's Apple Cider Caramel. Again, I reduced my quantity so it all fit in 3.5 QT pot.
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29015 at 4:53 pm on Sep 15, 2016
I reduced "Zeigler's Old-Fashioned Apple Cider" (from Publix) before I left FL and boy was THAT a royal pain in the dupa to filter out all the solids.
While in NC, I picked up a half-gallon of Barbers (sp??) (apple orchard in Waynesville on Rt. 23, stored in the apple room in a cold case) and it's very tasty. I asked and it has NOTHING in it but pressed apples >> no sugar, no cinnamon. I'm going to reduce that this weekend.
The two caramel sauces were made simply by heating more heavy cream and adding the finished caramel candy (which I was too lazy to cut and wrap individually) until it reached a point where it looked sauce-ish. That is a very technical term--sauce-ish.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29015. okay, what size bundt pan do I use for Alton Brown's Apple Cake? See Sally's link [LINK] - MarilynFL - 1:06pm on 09/15/16 (13)
- It indicates a 10 cup pan at the bottom of Alton's list of ingredients from FN site>>> [LINK] - LisainLA - 1:42pm on 09/15/16
- Thank you! I started to check that link, but the FN website is really wonky on IE here at work. All - MarilynFL - 2:03pm on 09/15/16
- Sorry, haven't seen this.... - SallyBR - 11:22am on 09/16/16
- Speaking of equipment, I ordered 7x7 inch square pan for Theo's caramels - MarilynFL - 2:10pm on 09/15/16
- Aha we were wondering what that flavor was---reduced apple cider!! ... - charlie - 4:12pm on 09/15/16
- Here's is theo's basic caramel recipe (reduced to use 2 cups of heavy cream) [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 4:49pm on 09/15/16
- Here is theo's Apple Cider Caramel. Again, I reduced my quantity so it all fit in 3.5 QT pot. [LINK] - MarilynFL - 4:53pm on 09/15/16
- Marilyn, have a look at this blog.....Ella Claire Inspired - Caramel apple tips......... [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 4:26pm on 09/15/16
- Thanks Gay! I brought back local unwaxed McIntosh and HUGE Honeycrisp from NC. - MarilynFL - 5:59pm on 09/15/16
- Very welcome, Marilyn.....hope the tips are helpful....... [NT] - GayR - 1:55am on 09/16/16
- More questions: Ella Claire's recipe stops the caramel at 235 degrees. Doesn't that seem low? - MarilynFL - 11:07am on 09/16/16
- Maybe this is helpful .... exploratorium.edu [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 12:03pm on 09/16/16
- Good info. The data on this page makes it sound like her caramel will be runny at 235. - MarilynFL - 2:32pm on 09/16/16