Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Dulce de Leche
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29032 at 2:27 pm on Sep 20, 2016
4 cups whole milk
12 oz. sugar
5 oz. glucose
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. baking soda
Place milk and sugar into large heavy pan on very low heat. Add glucose and vanilla, stirring until sugar dissolves. A flat wooden spatula is ideal to continuously scrape the bottom of the pan throughout the cooking. Cook for 45-60 minutes, stirring frequently.
Blend soda with 1 tbls cold water and stir into mixture. This is where you are thankful that you've used a very large pot as the cooking milk is going to start bubbling and foaming up to a great mass. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick and a rich tan color.
To test, left your spoon and drizzle some of the mixture over the surface. it it forms a ribbon that does not disappear after 10 seconds, it is ready.
Immediately set the pan in a basin of ice water to stop the cooking. If the mixture overcooks it could burn or become so thick it is not spreadable.
Cool completely, stirring occasionally, then transfer to a container with a lid. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Other messages in this thread:
- The buffet [IMAGE] - Richard in Cincy - 1:29am on 09/20/16
- Buffet 2 [IMAGE] - Richard in Cincy - 1:36am on 09/20/16
- The fruit salad [IMAGE] - Richard in Cincy - 1:42am on 09/20/16
- Just to clarify, is the Salsa Provenzal the vinegrette? (Salad looks lovely.) [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 1:41pm on 09/20/16
- Yes. You can use your favorite vinaigrette or dressing. We adore this salad. [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 1:45pm on 09/20/16
- Grilled Vegetables - Richard in Cincy - 1:51am on 09/20/16
- Tomato, onion and basil salad - Richard in Cincy - 1:55am on 09/20/16
- Cucumber Salad - Richard in Cincy - 1:58am on 09/20/16
- Russian Salad - Richard in Cincy - 2:02am on 09/20/16
- Grilled meats [IMAGE] - Richard in Cincy - 2:05am on 09/20/16
- Chimichurri - Richard in Cincy - 3:10am on 09/20/16
- Salsa Criolla - Richard in Cincy - 3:13am on 09/20/16
- Desserts: Copa Don Pedro and Alfajores [IMAGE] - Richard in Cincy - 2:11am on 09/20/16
- Mantequilla Marrón Pacana Helado (Brown Butter Pecan Ice Cream) - Richard in Cincy - 3:06am on 09/20/16
- Alfajores--Argentine dulce de leche sandwich cookies - Richard in Cincy - 2:21am on 09/20/16
- Cocktails and Hors d'ouevres - Richard in Cincy - 2:26am on 09/20/16
- Empanadas [IMAGE] - Richard in Cincy - 2:27am on 09/20/16
- Charcutería [IMAGE] - Richard in Cincy - 2:50am on 09/20/16
- That is a beautiful photo. [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 1:49pm on 09/20/16
- Dulce de Leche - Richard in Cincy - 2:27pm on 09/20/16
- Fabulous, Richard. You did all THAT for only 10 people? Over the top as usual! Congratulations [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:16am on 09/20/16
- Only! LOL - Richard in Cincy - 3:31am on 09/20/16
- Damn. Even the guests are color-coordinated. Outstanding Richard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [NT] - MarilynFL - 10:40am on 09/20/16
- Wow. What an effort! - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 1:51pm on 09/20/16
- Much - Richard in Cincy - 2:09pm on 09/20/16
- Wow, this looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing. I would love to see the recipe for the soft tacos - Curious1 - 6:07pm on 09/20/16
- That is SallyBR's recipe for Cauliflower Tortillas [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 6:56pm on 09/20/16
- Thanks Richard, They look yummy, and so do Sally's. [NT] - Curious1 - 9:14pm on 09/20/16
- oh, thank you! Ooops, I see.. you are talking tortillas... fine! ;-) [NT] - SallyBR - 1:28am on 09/21/16
- I missed these--they look fantastic--I need to get back onto the low carb bandwagon!! :( [NT] - MoNJ - 5:47pm on 09/23/16
- I was just wondering the other day how your dinner went--looks fantastic! [NT] - MoNJ - 5:45pm on 09/23/16
- Funny, I was just wondering the other day, how I must have lost my invite! : ) What an amazing - barb_b - 12:56pm on 09/26/16